Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default open a new excel window for each excel doc

In Excel 2003, when I open more than one excel doc, it opens within the same
window. Where do I change the settings to open a new excel window for every
excel doc I open?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want separate windows within the same instance of excel, you can try:
Tools|Options|View tab|Show section|Check Windows in Taskbar

If you really want separate instances of excel...

If you use File|Open within excel, then each of these workbooks will be open in
the same instance of excel. This won't work for you.

If you open the file via doubleclicking in windows explorer:

You can change this setting:
Tools|Options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

Be aware that one side effect of having this setting checked is sometimes you
can't open a file by double clicking on it in explorer. (toggle it back and
that should be fixed.)

This shows up for workbooks that have spaces in their name or path:
c:\my documents\excel\testworkbook.xls
or
c:\test of workbook2.xls

Cannot find C:\my, then more "Cannot find ..." messages.

It's more trouble than it's worth (for me, anyway).

=========
If you're using multiple monitors, you may want to review Chip Pearson's notes:
http://cpearson.com/excel/MultipleMonitors.aspx

--

Dave Peterson