Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Nevin

Default date sorting troubles

I have a simple spreadsheet with the date column formatted as (June 13, 2006)
and I am having trouble with the sorting. I have tried various tips via
searching, but to no avail. Could someone help me with this. If you need
more information, Ill give it to you. Thank You
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Pete_UK

As dates are stored internally as serial numbers, they should sort
okay. Can you please explain what trouble you are having, by giving us
a few examples?

Pete

Nevin wrote:
I have a simple spreadsheet with the date column formatted as (June 13, 2006)
and I am having trouble with the sorting. I have tried various tips via
searching, but to no avail. Could someone help me with this. If you need
more information, Ill give it to you. Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Nevin

I had a range of data individually dated on various days in the month of may
this year and quite a few from june of this year as well. When i went in to
sort, it took all the rows dated for june and kept them in order, but placed
them in the middle of the rows dated for may. Do you need more?

Nevin wrote:
I have a simple spreadsheet with the date column formatted as (June 13, 2006)
and I am having trouble with the sorting. I have tried various tips via
searching, but to no avail. Could someone help me with this. If you need
more information, Ill give it to you. Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Pete_UK

Well, I've never encountered that myself, so I can't explain it.
Perhaps with some more explicit examples - can you enter a few dates
and sort them and report back with the exact dates you used?

Pete

Nevin wrote:
I have a simple spreadsheet with the date column formatted as (June 13, 2006)
and I am having trouble with the sorting. I have tried various tips via
searching, but to no avail. Could someone help me with this. If you need
more information, Ill give it to you. Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Nevin

This is what happens when I sort by date (it puts june close to the end of
the may, and then takes some other may values and moves them to the end)
May 9, 2006
May 9, 2006
May 11, 2006
May 11, 2006
May 11, 2006
May 11, 2006
May 15, 2006
May 16, 2006
May 17, 2006
May 17, 2006
May 18, 2006
May 18, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 19, 2006
May 22, 2006
May 22, 2006
May 22, 2006
May 23, 2006
May 24, 2006
June 2, 2006
June 2, 2006
June 2, 2006
June 2, 2006
June 2, 2006
June 2, 2006
June 5, 2006
June 5, 2006
June 5, 2006
June 5, 2006
June 6, 2006
June 6, 2006
June 7, 2006
June 9, 2006
May 10,2006
May 10,2006
May 10,2006
May 10,2006
May 10,2006
May 10,2006
May 10,2006
May 10,2006

Nevin wrote:
I have a simple spreadsheet with the date column formatted as (June 13, 2006)
and I am having trouble with the sorting. I have tried various tips via
searching, but to no avail. Could someone help me with this. If you need
more information, Ill give it to you. Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Dave Peterson

I'm guessing that "May 10,2006" isn't really a date.

If you reenter the value and include a space character between the comma and
year, I bet it works ok.

If your data is nice, you may be able to:
select the offending cells
edit|replace
what: , (comma)
with: ,(spacebar) ", " without the quotes
replace all

--

Dave Peterson