Bewildered Analyst :)

Default multiple Excel 2003 instances

I have seen this before, but now unable to find the answer.

How do you set-up Excel 2003 to launch a seperate instance of Excel on the
desktop (run two Excel applications of the same version at the same time)?

Note: I am not asking about seperate spreadsheets, but application instances
itself.

Thank you!
Andy Wiggins

I have an Excel icon on my desktop. I click on it once to get an instance of
Excel. If I want another instance of Excel I click on the icon again.

--
Andy Wiggins FCCA
www.BygSoftware.com

"Bewildered Analyst :)" <Bewildered Analyst
wrote in message ...
I have seen this before, but now unable to find the answer.

How do you set-up Excel 2003 to launch a seperate instance of Excel on the
desktop (run two Excel applications of the same version at the same time)?

Note: I am not asking about seperate spreadsheets, but application

instances
itself.

Thank you!

Bewildered Analyst :)

Unfortunately, out out of the box set-up only opens a new spreadsheet in the
same open Excel instance if you click the desktop Excel icon. Our customer
wants to have two seperate instances of Excel 2003 open that can each open
multiple spreadsheets.

wrote in message ...
I have seen this before, but now unable to find the answer.

How do you set-up Excel 2003 to launch a seperate instance of Excel on the
desktop (run two Excel applications of the same version at the same time)?

Note: I am not asking about seperate spreadsheets, but application

instances
itself.

Thank you!

Bewildered Analyst :)

Still only pop's up the existing open occurance of Excel.

This is driving me nuts since we found a check box to resolve this issue
about 6 months ago. However, forgot to document the solution. :(

wrote in message

I have seen this before, but now unable to find the answer.

How do you set-up Excel 2003 to launch a seperate instance of Excel on

the
desktop (run two Excel applications of the same version at the same

time)?

Note: I am not asking about seperate spreadsheets, but application
instances
itself.

Thank you!

Dave Peterson

Saved from a previous post:

You could try:

Tools|options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

Then double click on the workbook in windows explorer.

And be aware that turning this setting on sometimes gives errors with workbooks
that contain spaces in their path/name:

C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

The error will look kind of like:
cannot find c:\my ..
then
cannot find documents\excel\my
then
cannot find book.xls

==
It may be easier/safer/more reliable to start the second instance and then
File|open the workbook.

And I just use another shortcut (placed on the desktop) to start that second
instance--

or I use Windows|start button|run
excel
and hit enter.