Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default How do I share a template in Excel

I want to be able to place a template in a shared area on a network and for
all users to be able to create new workbooks from it with a minmum of
disruption for each user. I can then change the template as required without
any interference to the users.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Create the Template by FileSave AsFile TypeMS Excel Template(*.xlt)

Store it in a shared folder if you want all users to create new workbooks
from it.

Different matter if you want one workbook that is shared by others
simutaneously but that doesn't sound like what you described.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 06:09:00 -0800, Henry
wrote:

I want to be able to place a template in a shared area on a network and for
all users to be able to create new workbooks from it with a minmum of
disruption for each user. I can then change the template as required without
any interference to the users.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Thanks for your suggestion. It does not quite satsify the need. I have since
uncovered an alternative based on something I have just discovered about
Office where Word and Excel work similarly:
1. In Word, select ToolsOptionsFile Locations
2. Select Workgroup Templates
3. This is the location that points to a folder in which Templates can be
stored. This folder can have sub-folders
4. If Workgroup Templates does have an entry, then make sure it is in a
shared area.
5. If Workgroup Templates does not have an entry then create one to point to
a folder in a shared area that will hold all Office templates. For example,
call this folder Templates
6. Create a sub-folder called Category in Templates or in the folder in the
shared area to which Workgroup Templates already points
7. Put the new Template in the folder Category
8. In Excel, select FileNew
9. In the New Workbook Task Pane on the right-hand side, select New from
TemplateGeneral Templates
10. A new window called Templates will open with tabs including Category.
11. Select on the Category tab
12. Select the newTemplate
13. Click OK