Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default print views

I have a spreadsheet with info for multiple years. Is there a way to set it
up so that I can print each year independently without having to highlight
that particular section each time I need to print it? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

coffee gal,
In a word, yes.
The easiest way for me is as follows:
Put each year on a separate sheet in the same workbook.
Then label each sheet as a year(i.e., 2008, 2009,...)

If you want to print multiple years, select a worksheet, hold the Ctrl key
and select another worksheet. Then select file, print selected worksheets.
hth
:-)

"coffee gal" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with info for multiple years. Is there a way to set it
up so that I can print each year independently without having to highlight
that particular section each time I need to print it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Don't put the data on separate sheets. You will regret it later.

Just use Autofilter to select the year to print.

Note: you can always set up different views using ViewCustom Views

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"coffee gal" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with info for multiple years. Is there a way to set it
up so that I can print each year independently without having to highlight
that particular section each time I need to print it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Gord,

I only used the "year" as an example. This is a complicated sheet and it's
not as easy as just selecting the year. I thought I could use Custom Views
but I can only get one view at a time to work. Is there a trick to get
multiple views using Custom Views? If so, could you please walk me through
it? Thanks so much.

"coffee gal" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with info for multiple years. Is there a way to set it
up so that I can print each year independently without having to highlight
that particular section each time I need to print it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Custom Views allows many views to be created and named but only one can
visible at a time.

You must use autofilter or some othe means to create the view you want then
save that view with a name.

Do many times if you have many views.

The Report.xla add-in for older versions was just the ticket for printing
reports using custom views.

Don't know if it is still available for 2007 if that's the Excel version
you're using.

Gord

"coffee gal" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with info for multiple years. Is there a way to set it
up so that I can print each year independently without having to highlight
that particular section each time I need to print it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I finally got this to work. I added a column and put a "A", "B","C" in it
depending on the view I wanted to see. Then used autofilter to filter for
either A,B or C. Then I hid that column and set up my views and printed it
that way. My boss swears that this used to be much simpler by just
specifying a range for printing ie A1:H8 and giving it a name, then A9:H16
etc.

Thanks for all your help Gord.

"coffee gal" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with info for multiple years. Is there a way to set it
up so that I can print each year independently without having to highlight
that particular section each time I need to print it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Your boss is correct..............maddening, eh?

Giving ranges names like A1:H8 and A9:H16 should still work without custom
views.

After the names are defined select a name from the namebox and
FilePrintPrint Selection.

Gord