Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default File Paths and Carrying Data into Future Budget Periods

I am currently using Excel 2003.
My budget worksheets consist of 10 workbooks which all have cells linked to
each other. (exa: Salaries links to Employees which links to Resource which
links to Summary). I start with a file folder for 07_08 in which I create a
folder entitled 07_08 Budget. This file folder contains each of the 10
workbooks (C:\Documents and Settings\computer name\Desktop\Budget\07_08
Budget). I then have to update it twice a year for interim reports - First
Interim 07_08 and Second Interim 07_08. Within the original 07_08 folder, I
create a new file folder for each interim report (C:\Documents and
Settings\computer name\Desktop\Budget\07_08\07_08 2nd Interim). I use the
Second Interim set of worksheets as the starting point for my 08_09 budget
duplicating the process above.
Currently the 10 workbooks within each budget and interim folder are
prefaced by 06_07 (exa: 06_07 Salaries) because at one point I determined it
would be helpful to be able to look at two budget periods at once and Excel
wouldn't allow me to open up two files with the same names even though they
were in different directories. I tried renaming the workbook files to the
current year but then the information wouldn't carry forward because Excel
couldn't find the correct path.
Is there some way to carry forward the links, formulas and data into a new
budget period and change the path to correspond with the current period.
Should I be carrying the data forward as a template rather than copying the
files? Is there some way to open two periods at the same time with a new
method? Thanks in advance for your assistance.