Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Excel is not working (may be a program file damaged)

please, as my excel 2000 sr is not working, is there a way to restore it?
thanks
--
regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

"Not working" means what?

Error messages? Won't open any workbooks? Crashes when you try to start?

Maybe with some more details we could plan a strategy to get you running
properly.

Do you have the original CD in case a re-install is necessary?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:01:08 -0800, antonio
wrote:

please, as my excel 2000 sr is not working, is there a way to restore it?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

many thanks

the error message says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network
ressource that is unavailable"

I canĀ“t find the original Office CD, with excel and the other programs, for
the moment and after appartment's works and changes

the programs are still working except excel and excel still's there but I
believe some file is damaged or in a different hard disk location (?)

so when I try to open an excel workbook, there is this error message - the
program doesn't open to read the existent workbook or create a new one...

may be there is a way to restore the location files or the excel program
based on the existing Office files, so that procedure could help me to use
all the excel work I have for 6 or 7 years!

if there is a way...

--
regards

wrote:

please, as my excel 2000 sr is not working, is there a way to restore it?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Are you actually on a network?

It would seem the executable file Excel.exe has possibly been removed from its
original location on the network or you have lost permissions to access it.

Do you have an IT manager you could speak to?

Have you tried StartRun excel.exe to see if you can start Excel from there?

Gord

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:03:02 -0800, antonio
wrote:

many thanks

the error message says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network
ressource that is unavailable"

I can“t find the original Office CD, with excel and the other programs, for
the moment and after appartment's works and changes

the programs are still working except excel and excel still's there but I
believe some file is damaged or in a different hard disk location (?)

so when I try to open an excel workbook, there is this error message - the
program doesn't open to read the existent workbook or create a new one...

may be there is a way to restore the location files or the excel program
based on the existing Office files, so that procedure could help me to use
all the excel work I have for 6 or 7 years!

if there is a way...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Gord

thanks for your kind attention and information

well, I'm not on a network, it's just my home PC

as you sugested, I just tried StartRun excel.exe and excel started, opening
an new blank worbook!!!

the error message still apears, as the program tries to install excel - and
again doesn't find the location...

but after cancel the "browse location" dialog box, I could work and save the
said new blank workbook and even open the excel files lited below (historic)

I still can't open excel in the desktop icon or in the open menu, as it
starts trying to install excel !!!

then, that error message "the feature ..." in a dialog box named "Microsoft
Office SR-1 Professional"

the all message is: "Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
folder containing the installation package 'DATA1PRO.MSI' in the box below.
User source: Z:\Office 2000 Pro SP1\"

well, I don't have any Z directory...

but now that I worked with excel from the StartRun excel.exe, I strongly
believe there is a way to find or correct that wrong location !!!

I thank you for your answer and help

regards from Lisbon

wrote:

many thanks

the error message says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network
ressource that is unavailable"

I canĀ“t find the original Office CD, with excel and the other programs, for
the moment and after appartment's works and changes

the programs are still working except excel and excel still's there but I
believe some file is damaged or in a different hard disk location (?)

so when I try to open an excel workbook, there is this error message - the
program doesn't open to read the existent workbook or create a new one...

may be there is a way to restore the location files or the excel program
based on the existing Office files, so that procedure could help me to use
all the excel work I have for 6 or 7 years!

if there is a way...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Try this.........

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)OK

You may get a request to insert the CD or that DATA1PRO.MSI can't be found.

In that case maybe do a search for DATA1PRO.MSI

If found, re-direct to that path and file.

I found none on my computer but I installed from CD so it would be on the CD
presumably.

Gord

wrote:

many thanks

the error message says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network
ressource that is unavailable"

I can“t find the original Office CD, with excel and the other programs, for
the moment and after appartment's works and changes

the programs are still working except excel and excel still's there but I
believe some file is damaged or in a different hard disk location (?)

so when I try to open an excel workbook, there is this error message - the
program doesn't open to read the existent workbook or create a new one...

may be there is a way to restore the location files or the excel program
based on the existing Office files, so that procedure could help me to use
all the excel work I have for 6 or 7 years!

if there is a way...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

thanks again, Gord

as I folowed the steps 1) and 2), now it's possible to open the excel files
from the desktop icon or from the open menu ! without trying to intall excel
and no error message

it's fixed !!!

good work and please accept my sunny regards from Lisbon ;-)

antonio
--
regards

wrote:

many thanks

the error message says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network
ressource that is unavailable"

I canĀ“t find the original Office CD, with excel and the other programs, for
the moment and after appartment's works and changes

the programs are still working except excel and excel still's there but I
believe some file is damaged or in a different hard disk location (?)

so when I try to open an excel workbook, there is this error message - the
program doesn't open to read the existent workbook or create a new one...

may be there is a way to restore the location files or the excel program
based on the existing Office files, so that procedure could help me to use
all the excel work I have for 6 or 7 years!

if there is a way...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Good to hear.

Thanks for the update

Gord

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 03:36:00 -0800, antonio
wrote:

thanks again, Gord

as I folowed the steps 1) and 2), now it's possible to open the excel files
from the desktop icon or from the open menu ! without trying to intall excel
and no error message

it's fixed !!!

good work and please accept my sunny regards from Lisbon ;-)

antonio

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Excel is not working (DATA1PRO.msi Error 1076 ) resolution for me

Hello Gord...

this was of gr8 help. This worked for me, i
1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

really a gr8 help, had lot of documents to be filled and excel got corrupted.
I just followed as in each post by u and now it is working fine.
Thanks a lot again!!!!

But i would like to konw why it got corrupted all of a sudden.
neways

Hats off...

regards
Murugan

wrote:

many thanks

the error message says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network
ressource that is unavailable"

I canĀ“t find the original Office CD, with excel and the other programs, for
the moment and after appartment's works and changes

the programs are still working except excel and excel still's there but I
believe some file is damaged or in a different hard disk location (?)

so when I try to open an excel workbook, there is this error message - the
program doesn't open to read the existent workbook or create a new one...

may be there is a way to restore the location files or the excel program
based on the existing Office files, so that procedure could help me to use
all the excel work I have for 6 or 7 years!

if there is a way...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Wanting to know how it got corrupted in the first place will drive you nuts.

If the fix worked...........move on.

Gord