Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Offline Help File

I have a dial-up connection, and it's really irritating when I click on the
Help button, to look up the syntax of a function, and Excel tries to look it
up online. It takes about three minutes, and, more often than not, crashes.

I have the Help information on my computer already. When I'm not online, it
looks to my local harddrive.

I don't see a setting anywhere to have Help look locally.

Where can I find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

In Excel help, type: "switch online help off"

That will give you the instructions. I couldn't paste them here, sorry

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Margaret Bartley" wrote in message ...
|I have a dial-up connection, and it's really irritating when I click on the
| Help button, to look up the syntax of a function, and Excel tries to look it
| up online. It takes about three minutes, and, more often than not, crashes.
|
| I have the Help information on my computer already. When I'm not online, it
| looks to my local harddrive.
|
| I don't see a setting anywhere to have Help look locally.
|
| Where can I find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

You can create a short-cut to local help and use it whether or not you are
connected:

Should be called something like:

XLMAIN10.CHM or XLMAIN11.CHM

XLADDIN.CHM for addins
XLMACRO.CHM for macros

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007a

"Margaret Bartley" wrote:

I have a dial-up connection, and it's really irritating when I click on the
Help button, to look up the syntax of a function, and Excel tries to look it
up online. It takes about three minutes, and, more often than not, crashes.

I have the Help information on my computer already. When I'm not online, it
looks to my local harddrive.

I don't see a setting anywhere to have Help look locally.

Where can I find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

If you have Excel 2007, you can click on Office button | Excel Options |
Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Privacy Options | uncheck the
"Search Microsoft Office Online for Help content when I'm connected to
the Internet" box | OK.

Margaret Bartley wrote:

I have a dial-up connection, and it's really irritating when I click on the
Help button, to look up the syntax of a function, and Excel tries to look it
up online. It takes about three minutes, and, more often than not, crashes.

I have the Help information on my computer already. When I'm not online, it
looks to my local harddrive.

I don't see a setting anywhere to have Help look locally.

Where can I find it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Close.

I'm using Excel 2003, I should have stated that in the first message.
I found the "Online Content Settings..." in the See Also section of the Help
pane, and uncheck the "check online" check boxes.

Thanks.