Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Protect Pivot Table Individual Results

I have created a pivot table from a master excel sheet with several different
"Users" listed with their accompanying Turnover information. I now need to
send each User a separate summary of their pivot table data so that they have
the ability to double click and open up their detailed data. But I can't
figure out how to restrict them from accessing OTHER Users' data by
selecting another User from the pivot table list, while still keeping the
link to the master data sheet.

Can anyone help me with this? I know I don't have to create 65 separate data
sheets and create a separate pivot table from each of those (otherwise why
would I create a pivot table at all?!)

:)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

How confidential is this data that you are sending out. The reason that I ask
is that there is no 100% foolproof way to lock this down such that the user
can not break into it. Excel is very eay to Hack... If you are not too woried
about the concerted efforts of a devious employee then we can come up with
something that will work...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Sarah" wrote:

I have created a pivot table from a master excel sheet with several different
"Users" listed with their accompanying Turnover information. I now need to
send each User a separate summary of their pivot table data so that they have
the ability to double click and open up their detailed data. But I can't
figure out how to restrict them from accessing OTHER Users' data by
selecting another User from the pivot table list, while still keeping the
link to the master data sheet.

Can anyone help me with this? I know I don't have to create 65 separate data
sheets and create a separate pivot table from each of those (otherwise why
would I create a pivot table at all?!)

:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Jim

Not that confidential - none of these Users are hackers I just don't want
them to be so easily tempted to look at other people's numbers, but the
info's not juicy enough to warrant hacking and even if they did, it's no
biggy.

so do you think you have a solution for me? :)

"Sarah" wrote:

I have created a pivot table from a master excel sheet with several different
"Users" listed with their accompanying Turnover information. I now need to
send each User a separate summary of their pivot table data so that they have
the ability to double click and open up their detailed data. But I can't
figure out how to restrict them from accessing OTHER Users' data by
selecting another User from the pivot table list, while still keeping the
link to the master data sheet.

Can anyone help me with this? I know I don't have to create 65 separate data
sheets and create a separate pivot table from each of those (otherwise why
would I create a pivot table at all?!)

:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Which Version of XL... this is a whole pile easier with XL2002 or better...

If 2002 or better...
Place the user field in the top filter section (as i assume you already have)
On the Pivot Menu Select - Show Pages
This will create a seperate sheet for each user...
Select all of the sheets that were created and hide the Filter Row with the
user Name in it.
Make any other changes to the created sheets that you want...
Now we need to protect all of the sheets ensuring that we allow Use Pivot
Reports (This needs to be done for each sheet but I could write you a very
simple script that would do this for you)
Move Each sheet to a new workbook and save it to be sent to the end user (I
could make you a quick script for this too)

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson