Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louis

Default vlookup on pivot table results = #N/A

My vlookup doesnt' work if I am looking up data that are in the results of a
pivot table. If I hand type the pivot table results to a new sheet it will
work but if I tried to re-format the pivot table results or copy the results
as values and it won't work. It will only work if I hand type the data.
With almost a thousand results in the pivot table, to continue to do this
isn't practical. What do I have to do to make the pivot table data results
compatible with the vlookup function?
--
Louis
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: vlookup on pivot table results = #N/A

Steps to make pivot table data compatible with VLOOKUP function:
  1. Ensure that the data in the pivot table is in a tabular format.
  2. Check that the data in the pivot table is not in a calculated field.
  3. If you have copied the pivot table results and pasted them as values, make sure that the format of the data is the same as the original data.
  4. Check that the lookup value in the VLOOKUP function is in the same format as the data in the pivot table.
  5. If all else fails, try using the INDEX/MATCH function instead of VLOOKUP.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Take a look at some of the troubleshooting tips at Debra Dalgleish's site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

I bet that there are extra spaces (somewhere) or you have text masquerading as
numbers.

Louis wrote:

My vlookup doesnt' work if I am looking up data that are in the results of a
pivot table. If I hand type the pivot table results to a new sheet it will
work but if I tried to re-format the pivot table results or copy the results
as values and it won't work. It will only work if I hand type the data.
With almost a thousand results in the pivot table, to continue to do this
isn't practical. What do I have to do to make the pivot table data results
compatible with the vlookup function?
--
Louis

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Louis
You need to use the GetPivotData function rather than VLOOKUP.
Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site

Regards

Roger Govier

"Louis" wrote in message
My vlookup doesnt' work if I am looking up data that are in the
results of a
pivot table. If I hand type the pivot table results to a new sheet it
will
work but if I tried to re-format the pivot table results or copy the
results
as values and it won't work. It will only work if I hand type the
data.
With almost a thousand results in the pivot table, to continue to do
this
isn't practical. What do I have to do to make the pivot table data
results
compatible with the vlookup function?
--
Louis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louis

Roger,
Thanks, this works too. I never paid attention to the getpivotdata function
before.
--
Louis