Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default works document trying to read in excel

Ok here it goes. I have recently purchased a new computer and had all the
old computer memory transferred to the new PC. The old worked off of Windows
98SE and the new is in XP with Office. How can I view an old document that
was done in Works (spreadsheet) on the new system? I tried to open it but
got lost in the process of attemping to transfer from old to new via the
popup screens asking questions about what I wanted to do. I thought that I
followed the steps correctly but now if I view the old document it comes up
with the correct information but with a lot of extra...let me call it coding
for I am not sure what it really is....stuff along with it. Can I fix this
so that I can read any "old" works document?

Thanks for any help!
Candi
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Memory? I guess you mean files from the hard disk.

Anyway do you have works on your new XP or only Excel ?

Excel 2003 for example will read works 2.0 files
So you should be able to open them with you new Excel

What are you viewing the old documents with ?

Steve

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:56:03 +0100, Candilinn
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Steve

I would doubt that the files were Works 2. That version was on an old PS2
had in 1990. But you're right, anything after that will not open in Excel
without being saved as in Works as an Excel file, so the OP will need to
reload Works or find someone who has it and can do the operation for him/her

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

To answer both of the replies that I received... yes I meant files when I
wrote memory. Any old documents that were in works on the old system are
now not veiwable on the new system. I do only have excel on the new system,
but still have the old disks to install works if that is what i need to do.
I am trying to view the old documents within word or excel neither of which
will allow this to happen. I am a REAL novice when it comes to working with
my PC put I can usually get accomplished what I set out to do. I am just
finding this task a bit harder that anything else. Thanks for the help. So
should i install works into the new system then?

Candi

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes, install Works and methodically open files in Works. As soon as they
open select FileSave as... and in the dialog there should be a dropdown to
select Excel Spreadsheet.

Take this option. Long time since I've been in works. If there is a choice
select Excel 97, 2000, XP, 2003, NOT 5, 95.

This of course applies to files you created as Works spreadsheets (I think
*.wks). The Word processor docs for Word would need to take a similar route,
but with 'save as...' Word Document.

Hopefully that's clear

--
HTH