Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Nick Hodge Nick Hodge is offline

Default works document trying to read in excel

Steve

I would doubt that the files were Works 2. That version was on an old PS2
had in 1990. But you're right, anything after that will not open in Excel
without being saved as in Works as an Excel file, so the OP will need to
reload Works or find someone who has it and can do the operation for him/her

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"SteveW" wrote in message
Memory? I guess you mean files from the hard disk.

Anyway do you have works on your new XP or only Excel ?

Excel 2003 for example will read works 2.0 files
So you should be able to open them with you new Excel

What are you viewing the old documents with ?

Steve

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:56:03 +0100, Candilinn
wrote:

Ok here it goes. I have recently purchased a new computer and had all
the
old computer memory transferred to the new PC. The old worked off of
Windows
98SE and the new is in XP with Office. How can I view an old document
that
was done in Works (spreadsheet) on the new system? I tried to open it
but
got lost in the process of attemping to transfer from old to new via the
popup screens asking questions about what I wanted to do. I thought that
followed the steps correctly but now if I view the old document it comes
up
with the correct information but with a lot of extra...let me call it
coding
for I am not sure what it really is....stuff along with it. Can I fix
this
so that I can read any "old" works document?

Thanks for any help!
Candi