Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default formula works when referring to one cell but not to another

I'm sure there is a simple explanation but I can't come up with it. The
following is the formula I am using:
=IF(OR(X2="roll not cut",X2="cut not roll"),"OK to process", " ")

Basically, I am using this with a spreadsheet I receive from another user.
I am just trying to automatically mark anything that says 'roll not cut' or
'cut not roll' as 'OK to process' leaving any other comments showing as a
blank (to be researched by me later)

This formula works fine if I use it to reference another cell that I
personally type in so I know that the formula itself is ok. It must be
something with the data I am receiving. I've tried copying the cells into a
new column as values only but that isn't changing the result. I've tried
changing the format from general to text but that isn't working. The only
way that I can get this data to work is to clear the contents of the cell and
copy in the retyped data from another cell (retyping alone doesn't work
either) but that defeats the purpose. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Perhaps there are extra spaces in the downloaded data:

Try:

=IF(OR(TRIM(X2)="roll not cut",TRIM(X2)="cut not roll"),"OK to
process", "")

--
Vito
Vito's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29182

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Another possible reason, that the received data are not of Excel text format.
Try =TEXT(A1,"@") (A1 being the original data).

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Vito€¯ ezt Ć*rta: