Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Default Deferring conditional formatting?

Does the subject even make sense?

I have a cell H20 that when the spreadsheet is blank is coloured yellow to
highlight the fact that it has a special purpose.

When the spreadsheet is blank the number 0 is displayed in this cell.

It has Conditional Formatting applied to it to turn the cell red and display
the word FAIL if the summed result is between 1 and 79.99

For 80 and above the cell is coloured green and the word PASS is displayed
in it.

All great so far...

However the summed result in this cell H20 depends upon the result of
another cell H17 that in turn depends upon the input of 5 other cells
C12:G12

I would rather H20 does not change colour until all of those 5 cells C12:G12
have data in them as it would be wrong to display FAIL in a red cell until
the result of all 5 cells are input.

Does that make sense and is this even possible?

-pp-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Depending on what you used for your conditional formatting rules, maybe you
could just add another requirement:

=and(counta(c12:g12)=5,(yourexistingrules))

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The existing formula in H20 is [=H17-H19]

Conditional Formatting for H20 is two-fold;
Cell Value between 1 - 79.99 Format pattern Red
Cell Value greater than or equal to Format 80 pattern Green

I did try what you suggested by prefixing the existing formula to give;
[=AND(COUNTA(C12:G12)=5,H17-H19)) but then the word FALSE or TRUE appears in
cell H20 which I do not want.

Nice try - thanks anyway :-)

Kind regards,
-=pp=-

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AlfD

Hi!

Try formatting the text the same colour as the background

Alf

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I didn't mean for you to change the formula in the cell. I meant for you to
change the conditional formatting formula/rules.

Since you're using "Cell value is", you'll have to change it to "Formula is"

First format:
=and(counta(c12:g12)=5,and(1<=h20,h20<80))

And second format:
=and(counta(c12:g12)=5,h20=80)

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Whoops...sorry Dave.

Shows my ignorance I guess..:-/

I did try the CF that you suggested and the cell doesn't turn red
immediately when you input the first number in the first cell which was what
I wanted.

However it stays yellow all the time now!

It doesn't turn green when above 80 nor red below 80 even after those 5
cells have data in - it just stays yellow...

No worries...probably I missed something else fundamental...

Thanks for trying.

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe you could post exactly what you did.

select your cell and format|Conditional formatting

Then copy both formulas into your reply.

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Hello again Dave,

Don't know if you are still reading this thread...sorry for the delay in
replying - I have only got around to working with this spreadsheet again as
I have a teleconference booked for Monday where I need to present some stuff
including this spreadsheet. :-/

Shall I put your name in the credits? ;^)

OK...I did input your suggestions into the Conditional Formatting in Cell
H20 and it does work exactly as you stated - many thanks.

Incidentally I also lowered the pass mark from 80 to 75

The one problem I have now is Cell H22 that is setup as follows;

At 'rest' this will display nothing but a YELLOW pattern - no text.
When below the H20 pass mark of 75 it displays FAIL on a RED pattern
When equal to or above the H20 pass mark of 75 it displays PASS on a GREEN
pattern.

What I really need is for it not to change its default behaviour of
displaying no text on a yellow background until those cells C12:G12 have
been completed - much as we deferred H20 to do nothing until C12:G12 have
all been completed and then display as above (either FAIL on a RED pattern
if H20 is under 75 or PASS on a GREEN pattern if H20 is 75 or over).

Does that make sense?

If it helps H22 currently has the following attributes;

Formula:
=IF(H20=0,"",IF(H20<75,"FAIL","PASS"))

Conditional Formatting:
Cell Value Is equal to ="'FAIL" format pattern RED
Cell Value Is equal to ="'PASS" format pattern GREEN

Your (or any other:-) help would be much appreciated!

Thanks & kind regards,

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Any cell in C12:G12 or all the cells in c12:g12.

Since you weren't using a formula--just a comparison:
Cell Value Is equal to ="FAIL" format pattern RED

In either case, maybe you can add one more condition to your format|condional
formatting formulas:

=and(counta(c12:g12)=5,h22="fail")
or
=and(counta(c12:g12)0,h22="fail")

Same kind of thing with Pass.

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Hey Dave,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Don't forget you are dealing with a complete muppet when it comes to Excel
;^)

If I understand you correctly I need to replace my existing Conditional
Formatting where I am using Cell Value to your Conditional Formatting
Formula below?

When I do that it works to a degree - H22 now stays Yellow until C12:G12 are
all filled in (Terrific!) when it then turns Green or Red displaying Pass or
Fail depending upon whether the pass mark of 75 has been achieved.

The only fly in the ointment is that when I start to fill in data in C12:G12
then H22 (although it now stays Yellow :-) still displays the word FAIL

I was hoping to delay the word Pass or Fail until all the cells C12:G12 were
filled in.

In my ignorance the problem now seems to lie in the formula for H22 as when
it sees anything below 75 in H20 it is going to display a FAIL even before
all the cells C12:G12 have been completed.

Is there any way to defer the H22 formula until all the Cells C12:G12 have
been filled in please?

Thanks again & kind regards,

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I don't quite understand.

If your formula (in the cell, not format|conditional formatting) looks like
this:
=IF(H20=0,"",IF(H20<75,"FAIL","PASS"))

Then it should ok.

You may want to post your formulas and your criteria once more.

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Thanks for your patience Dave,

The result in H22 depends upon the result displayed in H20 which in turn
depends upon data entered in C12:G12

With me so far? ;^)

The formula in H22 is exactly as you stated below;
=IF(H20=0,"",IF(H20<75,"FAIL","PASS"))

The Conditional Formatting in H22 is set as follows;

Condition 1
Formula=AND(COUNTA(C12:G12)=5,H22="FAIL") is set to pattern RED

Condition 2
Formula=AND(COUNTA(C12:G12)=5,H22="PASS") is set to pattern GREEN

The basic H22 Format Cells is set as follows;
Number - General
Font - Bold
Pattern - Yellow
Locked

At 'rest' with no data input the cell is coloured YELLOW with no text (good)
When I enter the first number in C12 which is a maximum of 25 then H22 stays
YELLOW (good) but the word FAIL is displayed (bad)

This I believe is being displayed because of the formula in H22 as at this
point H20 will always be below 75

The difficult thing is that until all 5 cells (C12:G12) have data in them I
want H22 not to display FAIL (or PASS for that matter)

Obviously when data is entered in all cells C12:G12 then it works as
expected;
H20 is below 75 then H22 turns RED & displays FAIL (good)
H20 is 75 or above then H22 turns GREEN & displays PASS (good)

Does that make sense Dave?

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe adding another check to the formula in the cell:

=IF(H20=0,"",IF(H20<75,"FAIL","PASS"))
becomes
=IF(or(counta(c12:g12)<5,H20=0),"",IF(H20<75,"FAIL ","PASS"))

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Dave,

You're a genius!

You wouldn't believe how many times I tried to enter a 'similar' formula
into H22 only to have Excel throw up its hands in disgust...

I tried everything I could think of drawing on what knowledge I have gleaned
from this ng in general, you in particular but to no avail.

Many thanks...it is much appreciated.