Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Andyroo

Default Drop Down List in Excel

Hello,

I need to analyse survey data in excel. I can make a drop down list in
Excel, via Validation, and get the option to enter one choice. However, one
question asks respondents to select "all" that apply.

I do not know how to do this, there are anything from one to six selections.
The ideal choice would be to be able to selct more than one rather than have
to enter each choice as a new column.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
davesexcel

maybe this would work,
if your dropdown menu is in A1 and the formula is in B1
=IF(A1="a",1,IF(A1="B",2,IF(A1="c",3,IF(A1="d",4,I F(A1="e",5,IF(A1="all",6,""))))))

--
davesexcel

davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31708
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=555539

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Andyroo

Sory, but that went over my head "completely" I dont know ! I have used A1 to
G1 and the formula / options for validation are somwhere else on the same
sheet. I just want to be able to select more than one option.

Thanks though ! but im still stuck

"Andyroo" wrote:

Hello,

I need to analyse survey data in excel. I can make a drop down list in
Excel, via Validation, and get the option to enter one choice. However, one
question asks respondents to select "all" that apply.

I do not know how to do this, there are anything from one to six selections.
The ideal choice would be to be able to selct more than one rather than have
to enter each choice as a new column.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Debra Dalgleish

As answered in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions:

You can do this with data validation and programming. There's a sample
file he

Under Data Validation, look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List'

Andyroo wrote:
Hello,

I need to analyse survey data in excel. I can make a drop down list in
Excel, via Validation, and get the option to enter one choice. However, one
question asks respondents to select "all" that apply.

I do not know how to do this, there are anything from one to six selections.
The ideal choice would be to be able to selct more than one rather than have
to enter each choice as a new column.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Andyroo

Debra,

Thanks, I will try that. If I get any problems I will come back

Andyroo wrote:
Hello,

I need to analyse survey data in excel. I can make a drop down list in
Excel, via Validation, and get the option to enter one choice. However, one
question asks respondents to select "all" that apply.

I do not know how to do this, there are anything from one to six selections.
The ideal choice would be to be able to selct more than one rather than have
to enter each choice as a new column.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Andyroo

Hi,

I can`t find "Select Multiple Items from drop down List", any other
suggestions ? I appreciate it

Andyroo wrote:
Hello,

I need to analyse survey data in excel. I can make a drop down list in
Excel, via Validation, and get the option to enter one choice. However, one
question asks respondents to select "all" that apply.

I do not know how to do this, there are anything from one to six selections.
The ideal choice would be to be able to selct more than one rather than have
to enter each choice as a new column.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JLatham

Look at that page again, at that topic (Data Validation) and it's down in the
list if you scroll down about 1/3 of the way. You could do [ctrl]+F and
search for
Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List
on that page and it'll take you right to it. The link to the sample file is
this:
http://www.contextures.com/DataValMultiSelect.zip

Andyroo wrote:
Hello,

I need to analyse survey data in excel. I can make a drop down list in
Excel, via Validation, and get the option to enter one choice. However, one
question asks respondents to select "all" that apply.

I do not know how to do this, there are anything from one to six selections.
The ideal choice would be to be able to selct more than one rather than have
to enter each choice as a new column.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I downloaded and ran the macro. I definitely need to learn how to do
something similar to what shown on "SameCell" sheet. However, I am having
problems using the VB code to my own sheet. I did copy the VB code from
DataValMultiSelect.xls (right click on "SameCell" tab - View Code), then
paste it to my sheet Book1.xls (right click on "Sheet 3" tab - View Code).
What are the next steps? How do I use it on specific cells/columns? How do I
change the default selection values of One, Two, Three, and so on? Can I have
different values on what the drop-down displays and what actually selected
(similar to HTML Form Select)? For example: the dropdown displays the list of
options as One, Two, Three, etc. Once, one of these options selected, the
actual value is either B1, B2, B3, etc correspondingly.

Andyroo wrote:
Hello,

I need to analyse survey data in excel. I can make a drop down list in
Excel, via Validation, and get the option to enter one choice. However, one
question asks respondents to select "all" that apply.

I do not know how to do this, there are anything from one to six selections.
The ideal choice would be to be able to selct more than one rather than have
to enter each choice as a new column.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

To have the code work on a specific column (e.g. column C), you could
change this line:

If Intersect(Target, rngDV) Is Nothing Then

If Target.Column = 3 Then

To use a different list of items, you can follow the instructions he

And to select one item, and show a different value, you could
incorporate the code in the sample file he

Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0004 - Data Validation Change'