Davida

Default How do I choose from the drop down list in excel

I created a drop down list in excel, however it only allows me to choose each
item only once and then it's gone from the list. I need to be able to choose
each item multiple times.

paige

interesting...because this is not how drop down lists work.....
question: when you created the list, did you hard code the values or are you
referencing the values in some range in your workbook?

"Davida" wrote:

I created a drop down list in excel, however it only allows me to choose each
item only once and then it's gone from the list. I need to be able to choose
each item multiple times.

Davida

I'm referencing the values in a range in my workbook. For example, the list
contains text such as
noodles
chips
salad
Once I choose noodles, it's gone from the list of choices.

Thank you for your time

"Davida" wrote:

I created a drop down list in excel, however it only allows me to choose each
item only once and then it's gone from the list. I need to be able to choose
each item multiple times.

paige

also....this may be reaching, but all together possible...

is your named range hardcoded ($) so that each cell that is formatted with
data/validation refers to the same cells each time?

for example, range =$A$1:$A$4

"Davida" wrote:

I created a drop down list in excel, however it only allows me to choose each
item only once and then it's gone from the list. I need to be able to choose
each item multiple times.

paige

....actually, i just tested my last theory and that's definitely your
problem...you need to hard code the ranges......maybe even hard code a larger
range to allow you to input new items in your existing list without having to
change it each time.

good luck

"Davida" wrote:

I created a drop down list in excel, however it only allows me to choose each
item only once and then it's gone from the list. I need to be able to choose
each item multiple times.

Davida

ok, now I'm really lost. I do all for "list" and enable in cell drop down.
I put the source as =d157:d162. Is this wrong? I don't know too much about
hard coding. Please explain.

I've fallen and I can't get up!
Davida

"Davida" wrote:

I created a drop down list in excel, however it only allows me to choose each
item only once and then it's gone from the list. I need to be able to choose
each item multiple times.

paige

sorry - yes, you have to change your cell range to
=$d$157:$d$162

you need the $ sign to ensure that every cell included with a drop down box
is looking at this EXACT range, each time.

give it a go.
/cheers

call me if you need further help
212.688.1500 x347