Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Joe Fisher

Default number a list

I have an excel ss of book and video titles. I would like to make one column
the number corresponding to each title. Just a simple scheme like 1, 2, 3,
4, 5, etc...

How would I tell excel to put sequential numbers in a column?

Thank you,

--
Joe Fisher
Teacher, K-8

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Joe Fisher

Clarification:
I have the titles in cells B:2-B:213
I'd like to have the number 1 in cell A:2, the number 212 in cell A:213
Is there a way to do that without manually typing in each number?
Joe
"Joe Fisher" wrote in message
I have an excel ss of book and video titles. I would like to make one
column the number corresponding to each title. Just a simple scheme like 1,
2, 3, 4, 5, etc...

How would I tell excel to put sequential numbers in a column?

Thank you,

--
Joe Fisher
Teacher, K-8
Marion, MT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Biff

Hi!

One way:

Enter 1 in cell A2

Click in the name box (directly above the "A" in column A) and type A2:A213
then hit ENTER.

The range A2:A213 will be selected.
Goto EditFillSeries
Make sure the Step value is 1 then click OK

Biff

"Joe Fisher" wrote in message
I have an excel ss of book and video titles. I would like to make one
column the number corresponding to each title. Just a simple scheme like 1,
2, 3, 4, 5, etc...

How would I tell excel to put sequential numbers in a column?

Thank you,

--
Joe Fisher
Teacher, K-8
Marion, MT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
MartinW

Hi Joe,

Also have a play with the fill handle and click and drag.

Open a new sheet and put 1 into any cell, while the cell is still active
hover the cursor over the bottom right corner and it will change
to a cross, click and drag the cross down say 20 rows, keep the left
button depressed then press and hold ctrl, the little window next to your
cursor will change from 1 to 20, let go of the left button and all the
cells will be filled 1 to 20.

Now try putting say 15 in one cell and 22 in the cell beneath it, then
highlight both cells and do the click and drag, this time the default will
increment each cell by 7 but if you press ctrl it will revert to alternating
sequences of 15 and 22.

Keep playing with different options and you'll find all sorts of handy
tricks.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Joe Fisher

Pefect! Thank you very much Biff and MartinW!
Joe
"Biff" wrote in message
Hi!

One way: