Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SouthCarolina

Default How can I count the number of repeats in a list of data?

I am trying to determine when I have repeats in a list of data. This is the
situation:

I have a list of data that contains numbers 1-99. I am trying to determine
when the numbers 1 and 2 appear in the same list and then count those
occurences. I have found a round about way of doing it, but do you know of a
faster way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SouthCarolina

Thank you for your help. I can count the number of times the number 1
appears in the column with no problem. My problems start when I try to count
the number of 1's and 2's that occur simultaneously. I will continue to work
at it.

"SouthCarolina" wrote:

I am trying to determine when I have repeats in a list of data. This is the
situation:

I have a list of data that contains numbers 1-99. I am trying to determine
when the numbers 1 and 2 appear in the same list and then count those
occurences. I have found a round about way of doing it, but do you know of a
faster way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

If the 1s and 2s are independent , then is not simply:

=Countif(A:A,1)+countif(A:A,2)

OR

=if(and(countif(A:A,1)0,countif(A:A,2)0),"both occur","only one or none
occur")

Or have I completely missed the point (again!)

"SouthCarolina" wrote:

I am trying to determine when I have repeats in a list of data. This is the
situation:

I have a list of data that contains numbers 1-99. I am trying to determine
when the numbers 1 and 2 appear in the same list and then count those
occurences. I have found a round about way of doing it, but do you know of a
faster way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SouthCarolina

Sorry for not making this clear the first time, but the 1's and 2's are
dependent upon one another. I am trying to track the frequency of a set of
machines being off-line. For example, I am trying to determine when machines
1 and 2 were offline at the same time. I hope this clears up any confusion.
I am sorry that I was not clearer the first time.

"SouthCarolina" wrote:

I am trying to determine when I have repeats in a list of data. This is the
situation:

I have a list of data that contains numbers 1-99. I am trying to determine
when the numbers 1 and 2 appear in the same list and then count those
occurences. I have found a round about way of doing it, but do you know of a
faster way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vezerid

Then you probably need something like:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100=1)*(B1:B100=2))

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SouthCarolina

I do that and I get a "#VALUE" error. Any suggestions.