Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
gregp22

Default moving text from a word document to excel

I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel
spreedsheet, and I have a few questions:

1. When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text
will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the
same size?

2. When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will
only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows
it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How
can I set it up so it is not in a long column?

3. How can I insert cells without having to go to 'insert' and then 'cells'
each time?

4. On the document, certain parts of the text are bold. When I copy/paste
them to excel, the bold disappears and becomes regular. How can I keep the
parts of text bold?

5. On the document, there are parts that have a line of text, a space, an
then more text. When I try and copy it over to the spreedsheet, it does not
all stay in a single cell (it shows it over to a few cells). How can I keep
it all in one cell?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mel Arquiza

"gregp22" wrote:

I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel
spreedsheet, and I have a few questions:

1. When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text
will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the
same size? Make autofit the column size or press Alt-Enter to terminate the text to the next line

2. When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will
only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows
it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How
can I set it up so it is not in a long column?Try Press Alt-Enter let the text to be on the next line.

3. How can I insert cells without having to go to 'insert' and then 'cells'
each time? Try Press Alt-I-R Insert Row.

4. On the document, certain parts of the text are bold. When I copy/paste
them to excel, the bold disappears and becomes regular. How can I keep the
parts of text bold?Try to paste it with formatting if it works? otherwise you just place it an unformatted text paste and reformat manually.

5. On the document, there are parts that have a line of text, a space, an
then more text. When I try and copy it over to the spreedsheet, it does not
all stay in a single cell (it shows it over to a few cells). How can I keep
it all in one cell? Best thing is copy it first in notepad then through notepad paste

it to excel then everything will be in single cell. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Clivey_UK

You might find it easier to have the Word text in a table (even if it's
a table with just one column). Don't forget that Excel has a limit to
the number of characters that can be in one cell whereas I don't think
Word has.
1. Try Edit/Paste Special/Text. If not, select all the columns after
the paste, and make them the appropriate width (in one action).
2. As point 1.
3. Use Ctrl +. If you select a column or row, that's what it'll insert.
If you select just one cell, it'll give you a choice of what to do.
4. I can't replicate this; the bold comes over fine. Note that
Edit/Paste Special will remove formatting.
5. By having the original text in Word in a table, this may be fixed
when you copy over.
Clive

--
Clivey_UK