Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Karmen

Default how to combine including blank cells

Hello,
I am trying to combine data from various cells into one cell.....using
a formula such as =c9&d9&e9 however if one of the cells were blank I
get a 0 in the end combination. What can I do to eliminate the zero?

Or pehaps there is a better way to do this. I have text and numbers in
15 rows / 4 columns. I would like to enter into a separate cell the
combined information from row a1:d1 then a2:d2 etc.

Unfortunately today, I can not seem to think of a better solution. any
suggestions?

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30972

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bernard Liengme

I cannot reproduce this. If I have a blank in B1 then A1&B1&C1 gives the
same as A1&C1
Tell us more
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Karmen" wrote in
message ...

Hello,
I am trying to combine data from various cells into one cell.....using
a formula such as =c9&d9&e9 however if one of the cells were blank I
get a 0 in the end combination. What can I do to eliminate the zero?

Or pehaps there is a better way to do this. I have text and numbers in
15 rows / 4 columns. I would like to enter into a separate cell the
combined information from row a1:d1 then a2:d2 etc.

Unfortunately today, I can not seem to think of a better solution. any
suggestions?

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522413

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
kevindmorgan

=CONCATENATE(A1,B1,C1)

I also couldn't reproduce your results, but this should work.

Karmen Wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to combine data from various cells into one cell.....using
a formula such as =c9&d9&e9 however if one of the cells were blank I
get a 0 in the end combination. What can I do to eliminate the zero?

Or pehaps there is a better way to do this. I have text and numbers in
15 rows / 4 columns. I would like to enter into a separate cell the
combined information from row a1:d1 then a2:d2 etc.

Unfortunately today, I can not seem to think of a better solution. any
suggestions?

--
kevindmorgan
kevindmorgan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32232
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522413

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson

Any chance that one of the cells actually contains a 0, but is hidden by
formatting--either a custom format or format|conditional formatting or just
font/fill color?

If you select each cell, what do you see in the formula bar?

Karmen wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to combine data from various cells into one cell.....using
a formula such as =c9&d9&e9 however if one of the cells were blank I
get a 0 in the end combination. What can I do to eliminate the zero?

Or pehaps there is a better way to do this. I have text and numbers in
15 rows / 4 columns. I would like to enter into a separate cell the
combined information from row a1:d1 then a2:d2 etc.

Unfortunately today, I can not seem to think of a better solution. any
suggestions?

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30972
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522413

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

You will see that if you refer to an empty cell on another sheet
="abc" & sheet2!e444

=if(ISBLANK(shee4!c9),"",sheet4!c9) & ...

---
HTH,

Karmen wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to combine data from various cells into one cell.....using
a formula such as =c9&d9&e9 however if one of the cells were blank I
get a 0 in the end combination. What can I do to eliminate the zero?

Or pehaps there is a better way to do this. I have text and numbers in
15 rows / 4 columns. I would like to enter into a separate cell the
combined information from row a1:d1 then a2:d2 etc.

Unfortunately today, I can not seem to think of a better solution. any
suggestions?

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30972
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522413

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Karmen

Sorry, after reading the responses I realized that the sheet I am trying
to combine information on is an automatic fill data sheet which adds
zeros for blank cells from the master sheet....and I had supressed the
zeros showing on the form...I had completely forgot the zero is
actually in the cell, just not showing. with that added information,
is there a way i can combine the cell data and not have the zero show?

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30972
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522413

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson

Something like:

=if(a1=0,"",a1)&if(b1=0,"",b1)&....

might work.

Karmen wrote:

Sorry, after reading the responses I realized that the sheet I am trying
to combine information on is an automatic fill data sheet which adds
zeros for blank cells from the master sheet....and I had supressed the
zeros showing on the form...I had completely forgot the zero is
actually in the cell, just not showing. with that added information,
is there a way i can combine the cell data and not have the zero show?

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30972
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522413

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Karmen

Thank you very much !!!

Dave Peterson Wrote:
Something like:

=if(a1=0,"",a1)&if(b1=0,"",b1)&....

might work.

Karmen wrote:

Sorry, after reading the responses I realized that the sheet I am

trying
to combine information on is an automatic fill data sheet which adds
zeros for blank cells from the master sheet....and I had supressed

the
zeros showing on the form...I had completely forgot the zero is
actually in the cell, just not showing. with that added

information,
is there a way i can combine the cell data and not have the zero

show?

--
Karmen

Karmen's Profile: