Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karlos

Default Checking Blank Cells

Is there a way of being able to check whether 4 cells in a row have data in
or not.

On each row in my spreadhseet, If all 4 cells have content in them, i'd like
the cell to the far right of them to either change colour or have something
in it that tells me that all 4 cells have been populated.

firstly i put this in :

=if(and(isblank(a1),isblank(b1),isblank(c1),isblan k(d1))," ","POPULATED")

the plan was to have the word "populated" in the far right cell if each of
the 4 cells had something in them. then i was going to use conditional
formatting to make it red.

....didnt work thoughh. I got the text "populated" even if only one of those
cells held data.

can you think of any way i can test if all 4 cells have content and if
so...flag it up?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dav

the if statement is if(criteria, true do this, false do this) you put
your

In your and statement it will work out exactly as you said as any non
blank cell will cause and to be false.

try

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(A1),ISBLANK(B1),ISBLANK(C1),ISBLANK (D1)),"
","POPULATED")

This will work out if any cell is blank, if any cell is blank the data
is not populated and returns " " otherwise all the cells are populated
and 'Populated'

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

How about:

=if(counta(a1:d1)<4,"","Populated")

You could use that same sort of formula in format|Condtional formatting. But if
you keep the "populated" formula, then you'll be able to use filter|autofilter
on that column to show just the blanks (or just the populated).

Doing that same kind of thing with colors or conditional formatting becomes a
real pain.