Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Woolley

Default summing formula

I've built a workbook to keep up with purchase/sales of Stocks, to keep
up with long & short term Capital/Gains for Tax records.

The way that the sheet is built is: A1 thru G2 are used for entering
stock purchases; name, date bought, price, # of shares with sum formula
for "Total Investment Amount (G2)". Cells H2 thru L2 are used when the
Stock is sold (Sale date, number of stocks, price and "Total Investment
Amount(L2)"). The last cell, M2, I want to use to show the Capital
Gain/Loss for that stock sale.

My problem or question is that I don't want Cell M2 to sum unless L2
has value of 0. I've tried the =SUMIF formula and I can't it to work.
I can't seem to find a formula that would work.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Ron

--
Ron Woolley
Ron Woolley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30904

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
paul

just a normal if i think,=if(L20,sum formula(),"")
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Ron Woolley" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

=SUMIF(L2:L200,"0",M2:M200)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Ron Woolley"
wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Woolley

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I finally got the formula to work.
I was placing the () in the wrong place.

the final formula that worked in instance was:
*=IF(L20,SUM(L2-G2),0)* and in the cells that I have formatted as
Accounting, if l2 =$0.00 M2 comes back with $ -. If l2 is 0, then it
will come back as $100.00 (Gain) and ($100.00), which is what I was
looking for.

I knew I was close, but... just looking at it too long...or it could be
that I was brain dead..
Ron