Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
mossbury

Default How do I set up a sheet with date headers one week apart.

I am trying to set up a spreadsheet with date headers and/or side labels,
one week apart.
I have tried without success. Any help gratefully received.

1/1/2006 - 8/1/2006 - 15/1/2006 etc.

Frank Taylor
Dell Dimension 8400
4 Gig RAM
1.3 GigHz Pentium CPU
Multithreaded
Windows XP Pro - SR2
Canon S530D
160 Gig Hard Drive.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Type your first date in A2. In the next cell use
= A2+7
You can fill this across as necessary.

Andy.

"mossbury" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet with date headers and/or side labels,
one week apart.
I have tried without success. Any help gratefully received.

1/1/2006 - 8/1/2006 - 15/1/2006 etc.

Frank Taylor
Dell Dimension 8400
4 Gig RAM
1.3 GigHz Pentium CPU
Multithreaded
Windows XP Pro - SR2
Canon S530D
160 Gig Hard Drive.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
mossbury

Hi Andy,

How do I fill the remaining ones. Do I have to type in each column seperately?

Frank

"mossbury" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet with date headers and/or side labels,
one week apart.
I have tried without success. Any help gratefully received.

1/1/2006 - 8/1/2006 - 15/1/2006 etc.

Frank Taylor
Dell Dimension 8400
4 Gig RAM
1.3 GigHz Pentium CPU
Multithreaded
Windows XP Pro - SR2
Canon S530D
160 Gig Hard Drive.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Frank

If you select the cell which in which you have typed =A2+7, there will be a
little black square in the bottom right hand corner. Move your mouse over it
and it becomes a cross. You can drag this cross along the row to copy the
formula across.

Andy.

"mossbury" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet with date headers and/or side
labels,
one week apart.
I have tried without success. Any help gratefully received.

1/1/2006 - 8/1/2006 - 15/1/2006 etc.

Frank Taylor
Dell Dimension 8400
4 Gig RAM
1.3 GigHz Pentium CPU
Multithreaded
Windows XP Pro - SR2
Canon S530D
160 Gig Hard Drive.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
mossbury

Andy,

I have done this, I just get the "#VALUE" in every other cell.

A1 B1 C1 D1 etc
23.1.2006 =A1+7 #VALUE #VALUE

Using the same procedure in Open Office Calc works fine. No luck with
Excell2003

Frank

"mossbury" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet with date headers and/or side
labels,
one week apart.
I have tried without success. Any help gratefully received.

1/1/2006 - 8/1/2006 - 15/1/2006 etc.

Frank Taylor
Dell Dimension 8400
4 Gig RAM
1.3 GigHz Pentium CPU
Multithreaded
Windows XP Pro - SR2
Canon S530D
160 Gig Hard Drive.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

If you click in a cell with #VALUE, what does the formula bar say is the
formula in the cell. Each column should increment on the previous, so =A1+7
becomes =B2+7, which becomes =B3+7
Also, is your starting cell an Excel date? The usual way they display is
dd/mm/yyyy (for English).
It should be really easy!

Andy.

"mossbury" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet with date headers and/or side
labels,
one week apart.
I have tried without success. Any help gratefully received.

1/1/2006 - 8/1/2006 - 15/1/2006 etc.

Frank Taylor
Dell Dimension 8400
4 Gig RAM
1.3 GigHz Pentium CPU
Multithreaded
Windows XP Pro - SR2
Canon S530D
160 Gig Hard Drive.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
mossbury

Yes Andy,

Each cell has the formula in it incremented to the cell that it is in.
Very strange isn't it?

I typed the date in as 23rd January, 2006. but I have also used 23/1/2006
and 23.1.2006. I have re-installed Office 2003 so many times that I have run
out of 'activations'

What a cheek! I buy the genuine MS program, and I get all this hassle when
I need to activate it. Treated like a criminal. I really think that I will
have to go over to Open Office. It's free and doesn't need activation.

Sorry for the gripe, but I had to get it off my chest. Anyway, thank you for
your help. I am using Excel in this instance because the computer on which
the program will be running has Office 2003. Press on regardless.

Regards

Frank

"mossbury" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet with date headers and/or side
labels,
one week apart.
I have tried without success. Any help gratefully received.

1/1/2006 - 8/1/2006 - 15/1/2006 etc.

Frank Taylor
Dell Dimension 8400
4 Gig RAM
1.3 GigHz Pentium CPU
Multithreaded
Windows XP Pro - SR2
Canon S530D
160 Gig Hard Drive.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

OK

Make sure the cells are formatted as General - before you start.
In the first cell type
23/01/05
which Excel will recognise as a date (English). In the next cell type
=
then click on the previous cell and then type
+7
and press Enter.
What's the result?

Andy.

"mossbury" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet with date headers and/or side
labels,
one week apart.
I have tried without success. Any help gratefully received.

1/1/2006 - 8/1/2006 - 15/1/2006 etc.

Frank Taylor
Dell Dimension 8400
4 Gig RAM
1.3 GigHz Pentium CPU
Multithreaded
Windows XP Pro - SR2
Canon S530D
160 Gig Hard Drive.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi Frank

It sounds like your cell B1 is formatted as text, hence the formula
shows rather than the result of the formula.
Delete the entry in B1.
FormatCellsNumberGeneral
Retype =A1+7

Change the entry in A1 to 23/01/2006

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"mossbury" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet with date headers and/or
side
labels,
one week apart.
I have tried without success. Any help gratefully received.

1/1/2006 - 8/1/2006 - 15/1/2006 etc.

Frank Taylor
Dell Dimension 8400
4 Gig RAM
1.3 GigHz Pentium CPU
Multithreaded
Windows XP Pro - SR2
Canon S530D
160 Gig Hard Drive.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
mossbury

Thanks Andy.

You obviously have the Magic Touch. It worked fine. Thank you for your
patience.
I shall now not have to commit suicide. (Only joking.)

It appears that the setting of the second cell by clicking the first, did
the trick.

Kind regards,

Frank.