Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jason

Default Excel leap year question

I am creating an entry to calculate an annual longevity bonus. I am
definately a novice user. Everything I have read appears to be aimed at those
with more experience than I have so I have difficulty understanding what the
abbreviations mean and what some of the functions used actually do. I am a
freak for understanding what I am doing before I do it. The formula I am
using is '=INT((NOW()-G2)/365.25)' where G2 is hire date to get year of
service. So far, it appears this has been accurate for the sample data I have
used, but intuition tells me there will be inaccuracy with some dates because
there is no accounting for which year(s) in their history is a leap year. I
think this would only matter if their hire date is within a few days of
"bonus calculation day", but I can't seem to confirm my suspicions yet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Niek Otten

Excel knows which years are leap years. To calculate with dates, see

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm#AddingDates

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Jason" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jerry W. Lewis

Niek Otten wrote:

Excel knows which years are leap years. To calculate with dates, see

As long as the employee wasn't hired in 1900 ;-)

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Niek Otten

I'm in Life insurance. I calculated the chance this being the case and
decided not to raise the issue. Maybe I should have.

Kind regards,

Niek Otten