Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Scot

Default Change number format from text to number?

Using Excel 2002, WinXP
I was given a spreadsheet with a very long column of numbers. Each cell
displays the little green mark in the upper left corner. The dropdown arrow
shows "number stored as text." When I then choose "convert to number" the
number converts from text to number, which is what I want. But I don't have
time to manually change each of the 6,000+ cells. If I highlight several
cells, and do Format/Cells/Number/Number, the green mark in the upper left
corner remains and the numbers in the cells are NOT converted to numbers but
remain as text.

Is there a way to globally change all numbers from text to number without
having to manually do it one cell at a time?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

Scot

Format a blank cell as General.

Copy that cell using EditCopy.

Select your column of numbers and EditPaste SpecialAddOKEsc.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:49:54 GMT, "Scot" wrote:

Using Excel 2002, WinXP
I was given a spreadsheet with a very long column of numbers. Each cell
displays the little green mark in the upper left corner. The dropdown arrow
shows "number stored as text." When I then choose "convert to number" the
number converts from text to number, which is what I want. But I don't have
time to manually change each of the 6,000+ cells. If I highlight several
cells, and do Format/Cells/Number/Number, the green mark in the upper left
corner remains and the numbers in the cells are NOT converted to numbers but
remain as text.

Is there a way to globally change all numbers from text to number without
having to manually do it one cell at a time?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
gls858

Scot wrote:
Using Excel 2002, WinXP
I was given a spreadsheet with a very long column of numbers. Each cell
displays the little green mark in the upper left corner. The dropdown arrow
shows "number stored as text." When I then choose "convert to number" the
number converts from text to number, which is what I want. But I don't have
time to manually change each of the 6,000+ cells. If I highlight several
cells, and do Format/Cells/Number/Number, the green mark in the upper left
corner remains and the numbers in the cells are NOT converted to numbers but
remain as text.

Is there a way to globally change all numbers from text to number without
having to manually do it one cell at a time?

Thanks,

I use a free tool called ASAP utilities. I find it very useful.
It does dozens of everyday functions easily.

http://www.asap-utilities.com/

Standard disclaimer no association, no profit from yada yada.

gls858