rbecerra

Default How to change default cell format to "Text"

Regards,

When you start Excel, the new spreadsheets come with default format =
"General".

I need this default format to be changed to "Text". Following is the
explanation of the reason I need this:

I work in PLC programming, and usually I use Excel to edit some CSV
files. Those files contains some numeric fields in decimal format (for
example 5.5, 5.2, 5.0, 4.0). When I open the CSV file with Excel, the
program eliminates the decimal part of round numbers (in the example
given, Excel converts my numbers to 5.5, 5.2, 5, 4).

I really need the round numbers to keep its decimal part (I need 5.0,
not 5!!!).

And I need it to work when I open my CSV files (please, no posts of
"you should select the cells and use the format cells option..."
because when I open my CSV file the damage is performed...).

Any ideas?

--
rbecerra
rbecerra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27043

Jim Rech

You might search in Excel on "default workbook" for information on how to
customize the initial workbook when Excel opens.

However a customized initial workbook will not be used when you open a text
file in Excel through File, open. To open a text file into an existing
(pre-formatted) workbook try using Data, Import External Data (as it's
called in Excel 2003, you forgot to mention your version). You have quite a
bit of control over how the data is formatted and where it goes with this
method.

--
Jim
"rbecerra" wrote in

| Regards,
|
| When you start Excel, the new spreadsheets come with default format =
| "General".
|
| I need this default format to be changed to "Text". Following is the
| explanation of the reason I need this:
|
| I work in PLC programming, and usually I use Excel to edit some CSV
| files. Those files contains some numeric fields in decimal format (for
| example 5.5, 5.2, 5.0, 4.0). When I open the CSV file with Excel, the
| program eliminates the decimal part of round numbers (in the example
| given, Excel converts my numbers to 5.5, 5.2, 5, 4).
|
| I really need the round numbers to keep its decimal part (I need 5.0,
| not 5!!!).
|
| And I need it to work when I open my CSV files (please, no posts of
| "you should select the cells and use the format cells option..."
| because when I open my CSV file the damage is performed...).
|
| Any ideas?
|

| --
| rbecerra
| rbecerra's Profile:
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=459568

rbecerra

Yeah, you're right!

The Import External Data can help, I can choose the format of each
column before importing...

The only anoying thing is in this Import External Data Wizard, is that
I cannot set the format option for all the cells!!! I have to choose
one by one and apply the "Text" format....

But by now, this is a good solution.

Thanks

Edited:
The shift key comes to help: I can now select all the columns in this
wizard selecting the first column, hold pressed SHIFT and select the
last column, this way all columns become selected and I can set the
Text format for all ... Problem solved. Again thanks