Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
ruthslaughter

Default keep cell blank if IF statement is False

I'm trying to keep a cell blank for the False component of an IF statement.
If I leave it blank it comes back with False in the cell. I don't want
anything in the False section of the IF statement. How do I do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

Put: "" as the value_if_false in the IF
Example: =IF(expression, value_if_true , "")
--
Rgds
Max
"ruthslaughter" wrote in message
I'm trying to keep a cell blank for the False component of an IF

statement.
If I leave it blank it comes back with False in the cell. I don't want
anything in the False section of the IF statement. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
noyb

If the cell evaluates to "" and then shows blank, but, another cell
references the blank cell that second cell returns a #VALUE. Its OK if
the cell evaluates to a number but not "". Is there a way around this?
Thanks

Max wrote:
Put: "" as the value_if_false in the IF
Example: =IF(expression, value_if_true , "")
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
--
"ruthslaughter" wrote in message

I'm trying to keep a cell blank for the False component of an IF

statement.

If I leave it blank it comes back with False in the cell. I don't want
anything in the False section of the IF statement. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Peo Sjoblom

Post the formula that returns the value error, a value error occurs when you
calculate with text like "" so you can replace it with 0 instead if you add
it or you can use functions that ignores text like SUM or SUMIF

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

Max wrote:
Put: "" as the value_if_false in the IF
Example: =IF(expression, value_if_true , "")
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
--
"ruthslaughter" wrote in
message

I'm trying to keep a cell blank for the False component of an IF

statement.

If I leave it blank it comes back with False in the cell. I don't want
anything in the False section of the IF statement. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

As Peo mentioned (Thanks, Peo !),
we could use: =IF(expression, value_if_true , 0) instead
to avoid downstream calc issues.

And to achieve a clean look, if desired, we could switch off
the display of "extraneous" zeros in the sheet via:
Tools Options View tab Uncheck "Zero values" OK
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
noyb

Thanks, I did not realize that =sum(a1,b1) when a1 = "" would not return
#VALUE.