Old October 15th 05, 08:21 PM
Rick

Default Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet

Hi, In my spreadsheet cell E14 adds up E2 - E14 and cell C14 adds up C2 -
C14. In G14 I have put a formula to show the difference between E14 and C14
as a Percentage ( formula for G14 is =SUM(E14-C14)/ABS(E14) ). When the
Formula for G14 looks at E14 and C14 all it sees is a SUM formula to add up
the column. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Many thanks for
looking. Rick

Old October 15th 05, 09:19 PM
Lilliabeth

Not sure I understand the problem; tell us what answer or error you are
getting.

Also, don't you mean you are summing C2:C*13* in C14 and E2:E*13* in
E14?

Oh, and you can get rid of the Sum - this is all you need:

=(E14-C14)/ABS(E14)

-

--
Lilliabeth
Lilliabeth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27741

Old October 15th 05, 09:47 PM
CLR

I just duplicated your description of your situation in XL2k, including copy
and paste your G14 formula, and it all seems to work fine.........perhaps a
typo on your spreadsheet?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Old October 15th 05, 09:57 PM
Rick

Don't know what was wrong but I did the formula again and this time it
worked, although the percentage answer was a couple of points out it is close
enough. Thanks again. Rick

Old October 15th 05, 10:05 PM
CLR

Glad you got it working..........I make those kind of typo's all the
time............remember, "The only people that don't make mistakes, are
those that don't DO anything".........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

news