Jaime

Default VALUES ARE DIFFERENT THAN CALCULATOR

I am figuring my payroll on an Excel spreadsheet. When I enter the formulas,
the values are sometimes off by a penny. On my calculator, I have it set to
5/4. How do I get my formulas to come out the same as the calculator?
JMB

Look in help for the ROUND function

Also see link for discussion of rounding issues

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm

"Jaime" wrote:

I am figuring my payroll on an Excel spreadsheet. When I enter the formulas,
the values are sometimes off by a penny. On my calculator, I have it set to
5/4. How do I get my formulas to come out the same as the calculator?

Jaime

From what I read, it pretty much said that the computer can't fix it. I did
change my spreadsheet to precision as displayed, though, so that will at
least help when I add everything up. As far as using the ROUND function, I
don't think that will help, because I'm just using two decimals and it
automatically does that, right?

"Jaime" wrote:

I am figuring my payroll on an Excel spreadsheet. When I enter the formulas,
the values are sometimes off by a penny. On my calculator, I have it set to
5/4. How do I get my formulas to come out the same as the calculator?

RWN

"I'm just using two decimals and it automatically does that, right?"
Not really. It displays whatever you've set it as but still retains the decimal places.

As "JMB" suggested-you want to use the Round function to ensure accuracy.

--
Regards;
Rob

gls858

From what I read, it pretty much said that the computer can't fix it. I did

"Jaime" wrote:

I am figuring my payroll on an Excel spreadsheet. When I enter the formulas,
the values are sometimes off by a penny. On my calculator, I have it set to
5/4. How do I get my formulas to come out the same as the calculator?

It "displays" 2 digits. The underlying value may be more. So when you
perform calculations it uses the underlying value then rounds to display 2
digits. You need to round the values first, as suggested, then perform the
calculation.

gls858