QAguy

Default go from last column to first column, next row?

I knnow there is a way to "teach" my spreadsheet the range I am entering data
into. But I don't remember how. The actice cell is supposed to go from the
last data entry column in the current row, to the first column in the next
row. All I had to do was hit "Enter" and I was ready to enter the next
record. Does anybody remember how?
Bernie Deitrick

QA Guy,

You need to select all the cells first. And your movement after entry need
to be set to move to the right.

Or, you could use a selection change event, but that is much more
complicated.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"QAguy" wrote in message
I knnow there is a way to "teach" my spreadsheet the range I am entering

data
into. But I don't remember how. The actice cell is supposed to go from

the
last data entry column in the current row, to the first column in the next
row. All I had to do was hit "Enter" and I was ready to enter the next
record. Does anybody remember how?

QAguy

Bernie,

That did help some, and is along the lines of what I used to be able to do.
And it cetainly did not involve 'events' or ScaryQuirkyLanguage (SQL). But
your way the cells stayed selected, and each time I clicked in a cell I had
to re-select the range AND 'enter' my way through ALL the records and columns
to get back to where I was entering info. Maybe my memory is bad, but I
could have sworn there was a way to get the same results WITHOUT the white on
black of selected cells.

Would it work if I 'named' the range?

"QAguy" wrote in message
I knnow there is a way to "teach" my spreadsheet the range I am entering

data
into. But I don't remember how. The actice cell is supposed to go from

the
last data entry column in the current row, to the first column in the next
row. All I had to do was hit "Enter" and I was ready to enter the next
record. Does anybody remember how?

Paul B

QAguy, how about unlocking the cells you want to enter data in and then
protecting the sheet, select only unlocked cells, will that work? Other wise
I think you would need some VBA as Bernie said
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"QAguy" wrote in message
I knnow there is a way to "teach" my spreadsheet the range I am
entering

data
into. But I don't remember how. The actice cell is supposed to go from

the
last data entry column in the current row, to the first column in the
next
row. All I had to do was hit "Enter" and I was ready to enter the next
record. Does anybody remember how?

Gord Dibben

Assuming you start entering data in column A and want to go across to
F1.........

Use the TAB key when leaving A1 to go to B1 then C1, D1, E1, F1 as you enter
the data.

When leaving F1, hit the <ENTER key to drop to A2.

The <ENTER key will drop down 1 row and go back to the column in which you
started.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:51:15 -0800, "QAguy"
wrote:

I knnow there is a way to "teach" my spreadsheet the range I am entering data
into. But I don't remember how. The actice cell is supposed to go from the
last data entry column in the current row, to the first column in the next
row. All I had to do was hit "Enter" and I was ready to enter the next
record. Does anybody remember how?

QAguy

THAT'S IT ! Thank you all. As soon as I switched 'Move selection after
Enter" back to Down, the TAB method worked perfectly. I knew it was a simple
skill I had forgotten.

Gord, thanks again. BTW, it is A1 to AG1, which is why I was desparate to
remember your solution. :-)

wrote:

I knnow there is a way to "teach" my spreadsheet the range I am entering data
into. But I don't remember how. The actice cell is supposed to go from the
last data entry column in the current row, to the first column in the next
row. All I had to do was hit "Enter" and I was ready to enter the next
record. Does anybody remember how?

Gord Dibben

Thanks for the feedback.

A1 to AG1 is a long way to run.

Gord

wrote:

I knnow there is a way to "teach" my spreadsheet the range I am entering data
into. But I don't remember how. The actice cell is supposed to go from the
last data entry column in the current row, to the first column in the next
row. All I had to do was hit "Enter" and I was ready to enter the next
record. Does anybody remember how?

jquilt

I was wondering how do you set the spreadsheet to move from one column to the
next after your cells are password protected? For example, I want in set the
spreadsheet for input of data from Cells A10 thru A20 and then go to B10 and
input data down to B20. I want to do this by using the enter key or the tab
key. Any suggestions? Thanks