Blake

Default New to Excel - I want to add a few columns across (P and Q)...How?

I am trying to learn how to add, substract, multiply, and divide columns in
an Excel spreadsheet. I know how to add the contents of a column down that
column but I cannot understand the instructions of how to add columns across
the spreadsheet. I want to be able to add columns to get a result
(P+Q=R...ie OBP+SLG=OPS) as well as multiply, divide and substract. Anyone
offering assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Michael

Hi Blake
To add columns, you still need a cell reference, not just a column.
eg, In C1 put =A1+B1
to multiply =A1*B1
To Subtract =A1-B1
To Divide =A1/B1

Once these columns are done you can SUM/Divide, etc, the totals down the page

HTH
Michael

"Blake" wrote:

I am trying to learn how to add, substract, multiply, and divide columns in
an Excel spreadsheet. I know how to add the contents of a column down that
column but I cannot understand the instructions of how to add columns across
the spreadsheet. I want to be able to add columns to get a result
(P+Q=R...ie OBP+SLG=OPS) as well as multiply, divide and substract. Anyone
offering assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Blake

Okay, that I can do. Now, how may I write this formula so that the addition
will automatically happen all the way down the column? (ie. in column R, I
want the addition of P1+Q1 and P2+Q2 to be added all the way down column R).
Thanks!

"Blake" wrote:

I am trying to learn how to add, substract, multiply, and divide columns in
an Excel spreadsheet. I know how to add the contents of a column down that
column but I cannot understand the instructions of how to add columns across
the spreadsheet. I want to be able to add columns to get a result
(P+Q=R...ie OBP+SLG=OPS) as well as multiply, divide and substract. Anyone
offering assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Once you have written the first formula in say R1. Click on the little black
box in the bottom right corner of R1 and drag it down as far as you need to,
and excel will transfer the formula down for you.

Michael

"Blake" wrote:

I am trying to learn how to add, substract, multiply, and divide columns in
an Excel spreadsheet. I know how to add the contents of a column down that
column but I cannot understand the instructions of how to add columns across
the spreadsheet. I want to be able to add columns to get a result
(P+Q=R...ie OBP+SLG=OPS) as well as multiply, divide and substract. Anyone
offering assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jag Jag is offline

Hello Michael...what if you wanted to do this across multiple columns but
skipping over a few? Thanks!