Mare

Default Search within workbook

Hi all,
I am newbie with excel. Situation follows.
I have a workbook with two sheets, each sheet has around 60000
rows(part number) and 6 columns (various prices for coresponding part
number).
This is a price list imported from Access.

1. I need to protect workbook(read only) for distribution and provide
search option for entire workbook.
(i.e. search for part number and result should be entire row
highlighted for that part)

With ctrl-f default option is search "within a sheet" and I need
"within a workbook"as a default.
2. Should (and how) I create third sheet for search option and
results.

Please direct me where to look (books, www) and what to look for,
because I do not
find Excel help very helpfull.
Thanks in advance

--
Mare
Mare's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27644

Jon Quixley

Mare,

When you go to the Ctrl-F search dialog, click on the Replace tab and
OPTIONS - there is a pull-daown to select WORKBOOK instead of the
default option "Sheet"

Getting the entire row to highlight when it finds the right part and
its corresponding price is into the relms to programming and I think
once you're in there, the Ctrl-F option is going to be redunant.

Anyone else have any ideas?

--
Jon Quixley
Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25803

Mare

Thanks Jon,

I did not explain that I need to distribute this workbook( price list )
to retailers, and what I need is when THEY press "ctrl-f", default
option should be "search within workbook" regardless of default setting
in Excel, which is "search within sheet".

If that is possible I would not have to explain to all of them, what
you have kindly explained to me.

"When you go to the Ctrl-F search dialog, click on the Replace tab and
OPTIONS - there is a pull-daown to select WORKBOOK instead of the
default option "Sheet" "

I hope this helps to understand my problem.

Thanks

--
Mare
Mare's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27644
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=471672

Rick Fabrizi

Mare,

I am not sure if we were looking for the same thing but here is a reply that
I received that took care of my problem/question.

Hi Rick,
On Stephen Bullen's Excel MVP page
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

FindLink by Bill Manville would work
FlexFind by Jan Karel Pieterse would work better and is specifically
designed for Find

Selecting all of the sheets and doing Find may be helpful but it really does
not work. Aside from the danger of forgetting you selected all sheets and
could permanently damage your file as any change to what you see is done
to all the other sheets in the selection as well.
--
---
HTH,