jbmx

Default =Month function in Excel gives incorrect month

I have a problem in Excel 2003, the result I get when I enter the =Month
function with a date from September (9) gives me a January result.

No idea why it's donig it.
JE McGimpsey

From XL Help ("Month")

Returns only the month of a date. The month is given as an integer, ranging
from 1 (January) to 12 (December).

XL stores dates as integer offsets from a base date (31 December 1899
for the Windows default 1900 date system). So

=MONTH(9)

tells XL to return the month of the 9th day after 12/31/1899 (i.e., 8
January 1900). Since January is the first month, MONTH() returns 1. If
you have your cell formatted as, say, "mmmm", that will display the
month name of 1, which is the 1st day after 12/31/1899 (i.e., 1 January
1900), or "January".