Old August 13th 12, 03:37 PM
Junior Member

Red face Trying to work out a formula for time lost/gained

Hello, I'm not a complete novice when it comes to excel but I dont have much experience with anything other than simple formulas...

This is a bit tricky to explain but i'll try my best...

I'm trying to devise a table to highlight time lost or gained in a single day.

1. In the first column I want the amount of time worked (in hours and minutes)
2. In the second, if the time worked exceeds 7hrs 24mins then I would like the aditional time to show (e.g if worked 8hrs 34mins I would like 1hr 10mins to show, preferably as 1:10)
3. In the third, if the time worked is less than 7hrs 24mins. I would like the time lost to show

Any help is appreciated as all i've managed to do it get it to show the time worked or 0 in the 2nd and 3rd colums.

TIA

Old August 13th 12, 04:42 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurr456 View Post
Hello, I'm not a complete novice when it comes to excel but I dont have much experience with anything other than simple formulas...

This is a bit tricky to explain but i'll try my best...

I'm trying to devise a table to highlight time lost or gained in a single day.

1. In the first column I want the amount of time worked (in hours and minutes)
2. In the second, if the time worked exceeds 7hrs 24mins then I would like the aditional time to show (e.g if worked 8hrs 34mins I would like 1hr 10mins to show, preferably as 1:10)
3. In the third, if the time worked is less than 7hrs 24mins. I would like the time lost to show

Any help is appreciated as all i've managed to do it get it to show the time worked or 0 in the 2nd and 3rd colums.

TIA
Hi,

Have a look at the attached. Is this what you mean?

I've added 7:24 to a cell and referenced this in the formulas. That way if you ever find yourself with a different trigger time (i.e. you start working longer or shorter shifts) you only have to change the time in that one cell rather than all the formulas.

Let me know if any of it needs explaining further.

S.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Laurr456 Example.zip (8.2 KB, 47 views)
Old August 13th 12, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Trying to work out a formula for time lost/gained

Hi,

Am Mon, 13 Aug 2012 14:37:14 +0000 schrieb Laurr456:

1. In the first column I want the amount of time worked (in hours and
minutes)
2. In the second, if the time worked exceeds 7hrs 24mins then I would
like the aditional time to show (e.g if worked 8hrs 34mins I would like
1hr 10mins to show, preferably as 1:10)
3. In the third, if the time worked is less than 7hrs 24mins. I would
like the time lost to show

in B2:
=IF(A2<TIME(7,24,),TIME(7,24,)-A2,"")
in C2:
=IF(A2<TIME(7,24,),TIME(7,24,)-A2,"")

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Old August 13th 12, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Am Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:56:11 +0200 schrieb Claus Busch:

in B2:
=IF(A2<TIME(7,24,),TIME(7,24,)-A2,"")
in C2:
=IF(A2<TIME(7,24,),TIME(7,24,)-A2,"")

sorry, I copied one formuala twice
in B2:
=IF(A2TIME(7,24,),A2-TIME(7,24,),"")
in C2:
=IF(A2<TIME(7,24,),TIME(7,24,)-A2,"")

Regards
Claus Busch
Old August 14th 12, 10:26 AM
Junior Member

Talking

Wow, thank you both so much - problem solved!!

Old August 14th 12, 10:39 AM
Junior Member

Red face

Ok...now i've done that, I have another query.

I've had to add a 4th column (F) which is a running balance. The starting balance is a minus figure (-12).

Which formula can I use which will alter the balance per day, depending on whether there is a credit in the 2nd column (D) or a debit in the 3rd (E)

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again
Old August 14th 12, 04:20 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurr456 View Post
Ok...now i've done that, I have another query.

I've had to add a 4th column (F) which is a running balance. The starting balance is a minus figure (-12).

Which formula can I use which will alter the balance per day, depending on whether there is a credit in the 2nd column (D) or a debit in the 3rd (E)

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again
Could you post an example of your sheet so far?
Old August 14th 12, 10:18 PM
Junior Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Could you post an example of your sheet so far?
Here's a copy of my sheet so far

Thanks
Old August 15th 12, 03:21 PM
Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurr456 View Post
Hello, I'm not a complete novice when it comes to excel but I dont have much experience with anything other than simple formulas...

This is a bit tricky to explain but i'll try my best...

I'm trying to devise a table to highlight time lost or gained in a single day.

1. In the first column I want the amount of time worked (in hours and minutes)
2. In the second, if the time worked exceeds 7hrs 24mins then I would like the aditional time to show (e.g if worked 8hrs 34mins I would like 1hr 10mins to show, preferably as 1:10)
3. In the third, if the time worked is less than 7hrs 24mins. I would like the time lost to show

Any help is appreciated as all i've managed to do it get it to show the time worked or 0 in the 2nd and 3rd colums.

TIA
___A_______B_________C_______
1__08:00___=A1-$C$1__07:26
2__07:00___

If you've got it laid out like that ^^^ then...

1. In Cell A1 will be the time worked
2. In an empty cell that you won't use, i.e C1 type in the standard time 07:26
3. Then in B1 put... =A1-$C$1

B1 should now say 00:34

To show where the time worked is under 07:26, then you will need to change the date system in Excel options.

Which version of Excel are you using?

The benefit to that though is that whether time worked in A1 is over OR under 07:26 it will show as either - or +
Old August 16th 12, 12:24 PM
Junior Member

I'm using Office 2003.

Thanks for the reply - I have managed to get the credit/debit part of my sheet working, now i'm just bamboozled by the running balance part..as it starts with a minus figure.

I need to know how to make it so when I have a credit the balance goes down and a debit makes the balance go up..?