Old July 14th 12, 12:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default vlookup

Hello, can someone help me with Vlookup please ?

I have a large table with dates (decreasing monthly) in column A, and debt
(also decreasing) in column F.

I want to lookup the date at which the debt falls to zero (or goes
negative), but Vlookup uses the first column as its 'search value' while I
need it to search in column F.

I could copy the dates to a new column G and search the array F1:G500, but
is there a more elegant way of doing this ?

Thanks

Old July 14th 12, 07:19 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dido22 View Post
Hello, can someone help me with Vlookup please ?

I have a large table with dates (decreasing monthly) in column A, and debt
(also decreasing) in column F.

I want to lookup the date at which the debt falls to zero (or goes
negative), but Vlookup uses the first column as its 'search value' while I
need it to search in column F.

I could copy the dates to a new column G and search the array F1:G500, but
is there a more elegant way of doing this ?

Thanks

Without an example workbook it's hard to provide you with the actual formula.
But if you Google "LEFT LOOKUP CHOOSE" you will find details on how to use the CHOOSE function with a VLOOKUP to do what you need.