jpletting

Default Order form to BOL?

I'm not exactly a novice with Excel, but there are quite a lot of
functions I haven't yet needed to use in the various positions I've
held. What I'm trying to do now is very, very different from anything
I've done before, so I hope this is the proper forum.

I have been handed the opportunity to redesign the processes by which
our Traffic office runs. What I would like to do is create an Excel
order form, which could then be used to automatically generate a Bill
of Lading. I will need to pull specific data entered by the customer in
the form to a template worksheet in the same file. I'm not sure how to
request that Excel retrieve this data to populate specific cells, nor
am I sure how best to go about designing the form to allow this to be
done. I'm really not familiar with the limitations of Excel in this
regard, but I feel this is the best way to go about this project and
will make future transitions to better software easier.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'd greatly appreciate the
help. Thanks.

jpletting
jpletting's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27108
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466244

Anne Troy

Will you be using the file to create multiple BOL? IF NOT, I would begin by
creating a BOL by simply using links. You can hide it, make a Create BOL
button that just unhides it, or just prints it. If we're talking about more
than a half-dozen potential line items, then you'll probably want to go to
the VBA group and find out how to copy "from here down" (see xlUp in VBA) to
capture all the populated rows. As for limitations, this can certainly be
done, it's just a matter of VBA, likely.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"jpletting" wrote
in message ...

[...]

Casey

J,
I see that you have just joined the forum and this is in fact your
first post. I have been somewhat active in this forum for a year or so,
and I can tell you that the help I have recieved here has been
tremendous. It has enabled me to do things with Excel that save me so
much time and energy. So I encourage you to keep at it, the people on
this site are great.
That being said; I wanted to comment on your question. First I'm
convinced that the Excel Gurus on this site could program Excel to wash
my car if they were so inclined, but if I asked them how to do that, I
probably wouldn't get an answer, because the answer could be hundreds
of formulas or hundreds of lines of Code. The idea here, is to ask as
specific a question as you can, about the project your working on. Your
question is kind of all - inclusive and when I read it, I don't no where
to start answering your question.
For instance when you ask about how to get data from one worksheet
(customer form) to another worksheet (Bill or Lading) the answers are
many. Data can be "transfered" by formulas or inported by Visual Basic
Code (Macros) at the press of a button or a keyboard shortcut.
Excel probably would be an excellent platform for what you want to do.
So start by putting some stuff in a spreadsheet and then think about
how you want things to work, then come to this forum and ask a specific
question and you will no doubt get one or more great answers.
Welcome

--
Casey

Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4545
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466244

jpletting

Casey,

I don't have a specific question because I don't know where to start. I
have created a draft of what I would like the order form to look like,
just a sample, to be edited later, but I don't know what to do to
generate a BOL from it. I don't know how to pull information, create a
button to do it automatically, work with links, etc. I don't know where
to get those instructions, either. That's why I'm here.

Anne,

Each order received will generate a unique BOL. I like your idea of
using links, as the BOL will generally already BE everything that's on
the order form, just in a different template. But I don't know anything
about Excel links, or how to use them. I would rather create the BOL
after I've received the order. It would be really nice to just have a
button to press, for my own convenience.

Thanks, both.