Junior Member

Default Auto-populate a balance sheet?

I have set up my finances using excel 2010. My first sheet is my balance sheet, and I have 7 or 8 other sheets that are sub accounts. Is there a way I can auto populate my balance sheet in sheet 1 by inputting data randomly into the other sheets? For example

Sheet 1
Date | Description | Debit | Credit | Balance

Sheet 2

02-17-2012 | Groceries | (Debit 15.13) | Balance 106.35

02-18-2012 | Paycheck | (Credit 125.00) | Balance 131.35

Sheet 3

02-17-2012 | Gas | (Debit 20.00) | Balance 135.00

Is there a function I can put into sheet 1 so that when I enter data into sheet 2 or 3 it auto populates sheet 1? I only want the date, description, and whether its a debit or credit to populate... not the balance.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_writer View Post
I have set up my finances using excel 2010. My first sheet is my balance sheet, and I have 7 or 8 other sheets that are sub accounts. Is there a way I can auto populate my balance sheet in sheet 1 by inputting data randomly into the other sheets? For example

Sheet 1
Date | Description | Debit | Credit | Balance

Sheet 2

02-17-2012 | Groceries | (Debit 15.13) | Balance 106.35

02-18-2012 | Paycheck | (Credit 125.00) | Balance 131.35

Sheet 3

02-17-2012 | Gas | (Debit 20.00) | Balance 135.00

Is there a function I can put into sheet 1 so that when I enter data into sheet 2 or 3 it auto populates sheet 1? I only want the date, description, and whether its a debit or credit to populate... not the balance.
Without a (dummy) example workbook to look at, it's hard to help you out with this one.

IF you could post one I'm sure someone (possibly me) will be more than happy to help.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Without a (dummy) example workbook to look at, it's hard to help you out with this one.

IF you could post one I'm sure someone (possibly me) will be more than happy to help.
I did give an example. Sorry if you are confused, I thought I explained it well enough for someone one to understand what I am trying to do. On the first sheet, column A is the date, column B is the description of transaction, column C is what I credit to my account, column D is what I debit from my account, and column E is my running balance. In sheets 2 and 3, (they are sub accounts that are drawn from the first sheet), I want to be able to enter in the data only in sheets 2 or 3 and have sheet 1 auto populate to reflect the transaction I did in sheet 2 or 3. Sheets 2 and 3 are set up just like sheet 1. Does that make more sense? But all I want to populate is the date, description, and whether it was a debit or a credit into sheet 1.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

See help on "linking"

Basic linking formula.........in A1 of Sheet1 enter =Sheet2!A1 to
return those cell contents from Sheet2 back to Sheet1

Gord

On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:54:29 +0000, matt_writer
wrote:

I have set up my finances using excel 2010. My first sheet is my balance
sheet, and I have 7 or 8 other sheets that are sub accounts. Is there a
way I can auto populate my balance sheet in sheet 1 by inputting data
randomly into the other sheets? For example

Sheet 1
Date | Description | Debit | Credit | Balance