jrup

Default Find in list function

I have two lists that should contain the same values. In Excel, they are in
two columns. In the third column, I want to put the values that are in List A
but not in List B. In the fourth column, I want to put the values that are in
List B but not in List A.

List A is from A1 : A501

List B is from B1 : B458

Can this be done in Excel?
Gary's Student

How about comparing each item in column A to the range of cells in column B
using the MATCH() function.

MATCH() will return an error for match-not-found, which we can detect in
ISERROR(). So in C1:

=if(iserror(match(A1,b$1:B$458,0)),A1,"")

will indicate unmatch items in A. Do something similiar for column B.

Good Luck
--
Gary's Student

"jrup" wrote:

I have two lists that should contain the same values. In Excel, they are in
two columns. In the third column, I want to put the values that are in List A
but not in List B. In the fourth column, I want to put the values that are in
List B but not in List A.

List A is from A1 : A501

List B is from B1 : B458

Can this be done in Excel?

CLR

Put this in C1 and copy down.......

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,B:B,1,FALSE)),A1,"")

Put this in D1 and copy down..........

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B1,A:A,1,FALSE)),B1,"")

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"jrup" wrote in message
I have two lists that should contain the same values. In Excel, they are

in
two columns. In the third column, I want to put the values that are in

List A
but not in List B. In the fourth column, I want to put the values that are

in
List B but not in List A.

List A is from A1 : A501

List B is from B1 : B458

Can this be done in Excel?

no show all function in dropdown list in Pivot Table Eva Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 July 21st 05 02:28 AM
Creating Drop Down boxes with the List function... JeanneW Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 June 1st 05 02:59 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
how do i create a find function for an excel drop list? RC Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 March 18th 05 03:09 PM
ISNULL function - can't find it KitKat Excel Worksheet Functions 6 December 3rd 04 04:55 AM