John Henry

Default Categorization of expenses.

I wish to sum various categories of tax-related expenses for my accountant to
do my 1040 and related forms. Can you suggest a simple way to do this with
Excel? I have never used Excel before now.
Bill Ridgeway

I don't know what a 1040 form is all about so I'll have to do a bit of
guessing.

You need some helper columns
Column A - Your input (a description of the expense)
Column B - Your input (the amount)
Column C - Your input a four character code
Postage & stationery - post
Stock - stoc
etc.etc
Column D - Formula
=IF(c1="post",b1)
Column E - Formula
=IF(d1="stoc",b1)
etc.etc

The totals of each column can then go onto the form.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"John Henry" <John wrote in message
I wish to sum various categories of tax-related expenses for my accountant
do my 1040 and related forms. Can you suggest a simple way to do this
with
Excel? I have never used Excel before now.

David McRitchie

Hi Bill,
The 1040 is the US income tax form, I guess it's not
glamorous enough to be mentioned by name on the TV or in movies.
The filing date for individuals is April 15th for the previous calendar year.

Bill Ridgeway

Thanks, I guessed it was something like that. Hope my outline gave you
enough of a steer.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"David McRitchie" wrote in message
Hi Bill,
The 1040 is the US income tax form, I guess it's not
glamorous enough to be mentioned by name on the TV or in movies.
The filing date for individuals is April 15th for the previous calendar
year.

David McRitchie

Hi Bill,
John is the Original Poster, I can't answer for him. My own
experience for individual taxes is that you basically make a nice
list that the accountant uses as a checklist to check his totals to
yours. The accountant will work off of the actual forms
as much as possible. Some things that you have to itemize:
are the kinds of things that might be attached to the forms, so
it is best not to have everything in one big list, but separate lists
to match the forms.

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote
Thanks, I guessed it was something like that. Hope my outline gave you
enough of a steer.

"David McRitchie" wrote
The 1040 is the US income tax form,