http://

Default Help please? Formating a cell

I am greatly in need of assistance. I have made up a sheet with all of the
information I need but I do not know how to get it to work.

What I need to do is have the user enter a specific number representing a
load in pounds (6500 for example) then I need to have that number divided by
another number (this will be 425 consistently). Then I need to have the
answer displayed so the user can compare it to a chart on the sheet and
match up the correct structural component needed.

I would certainly appreciate any help. I have very little knowledge of Excel
so please make any responses dummy proof.

TIA
Joe

Anne Troy

By "chart", I assume you actually mean a "table of cells"---sort of like a
multiplication table?
I think you'd have to do something like this, assuming you select that table
of cells (and assuming that table of cells is 2 columns, first column is
value, 2nd is price) and hit Insert-Name-Define and call it MyTable.
Suppose the 6500 is in cell A1, you can type this into B1:
=vlookup(a1/425,MyTable,2)
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"http://" wrote in message
I am greatly in need of assistance. I have made up a sheet with all of the
information I need but I do not know how to get it to work.

What I need to do is have the user enter a specific number representing a
load in pounds (6500 for example) then I need to have that number divided

by
another number (this will be 425 consistently). Then I need to have the
answer displayed so the user can compare it to a chart on the sheet and
match up the correct structural component needed.

I would certainly appreciate any help. I have very little knowledge of

Excel
so please make any responses dummy proof.

TIA
Joe

http://

Thanks for the reply!

I don't need to add anything from the "table" I basically just need to have
the user add the number into a cell and then have that number divided by 425
and simply show the result.

ex:

Insert load_______ <-The user would enter their number here

Square Inches of bearing required________ <- The total (the entered number
divided by 425) would show up here.

That is really all I need it to do.

Thanks so much

news:4559$42cad7cd$97c5108d$25693@allthenewsgroups .com...

"http://" wrote in message
I am greatly in need of assistance. I have made up a sheet with all of

the
information I need but I do not know how to get it to work.

What I need to do is have the user enter a specific number representing

load in pounds (6500 for example) then I need to have that number

divided
by
another number (this will be 425 consistently). Then I need to have the
answer displayed so the user can compare it to a chart on the sheet and
match up the correct structural component needed.

I would certainly appreciate any help. I have very little knowledge of

Excel
so please make any responses dummy proof.

TIA
Joe

Gord Dibben

Can you live with VBA worksheet event code?

'when entering data in a cell in Col A
On Error GoTo enditall
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Cells.Column = 1 Then
n = Target.Row
If Excel.Range("A" & n).Value < "" Then
Excel.Range("B" & n).Value = _
Target.Value / 425
enditall:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code".

Copy/paste the above code into that module.

When you enter a number such as 6500 in any cell in column A, the adjacent
cell in column B will show that number divided 425.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:46:02 -0400, "http://" wrote:

I am greatly in need of assistance. I have made up a sheet with all of the
information I need but I do not know how to get it to work.

What I need to do is have the user enter a specific number representing a
load in pounds (6500 for example) then I need to have that number divided by
another number (this will be 425 consistently). Then I need to have the
answer displayed so the user can compare it to a chart on the sheet and
match up the correct structural component needed.

I would certainly appreciate any help. I have very little knowledge of Excel
so please make any responses dummy proof.

TIA
Joe

Anne Troy

Then just =A1/425