Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default unfamiliar with how Excel handles data - question

I inherited a work excel spreadsheet from an employee who was fired and
has no desire to help the company.

My question:

There is a table of info, say with: name, address, phone number, fax
number, email. If you place the cursor in a box on the spreadsheet
(different page) and type a number - say 1 corresponding to line 1 on the
table - the info will then populate certain fields on the spreadsheet.
Or, if I type "1" I get Joe Smith, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, phone, fax &
email in 5 different fields. The number 1 does not actually appear on the
spreadsheet, it simply "tells" the spreadsheet which fields to populate.

1. What is this function called?
2. How do I create a new spreadsheet? (I know how to add more data to the
original table - I am now up to over 100 entries. I just don't know how
to "transport" the data from the data page to the fields that need them.

I guess another analogy would be a fax cover sheet - type "1" for the
president, type "2" for the vice-president, type "3" for the Speaker of
the House and have the different fields on the sheet populated from the
table.

I am sure this is very simple, I just don't know what this function is
called and how the various "dummies", "bible's", "complete idiots"
categorize this.

thank you for any help / direction you can give.