Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default multiple files open upon startup

Every Time when I open Excel 2007 after updating from 2003 - multiple files
(140 to be exact) open before I can even select open file to get the one I
want. I went online and download updates today, now it opens 243 files. I
have closed each one, tried to close group (it won't let me), deleted files
all to no avail. How can I stop files from opening automatically upon
starting Excel? It's very frustrating HELP PLEASE I have tried getting
ahold of microsoft directly and can't get any help here either. I'm stuck
without help. Can anyone please help me?????
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Vicki
That sounds fishy. Excel is built to open all files in the XLSTART
folder when Excel is opened. You need to look in your XLSTART folder and
see what files are in there and remove all files that you don't want opened
with Excel. Finding the XLSTART folder is not a matter of just searching
for it, because you may have more than one such folder and Excel sees just
one of them. Do this. Open Excel. Now, with one of those spurious files
on the screen, do a SaveAs. With the SaveAs box on the screen, look at the
folder in the "Save in:" box. Click on the drop-down arrow to the right of
the "Save in" box and trace backwards until you have the entire path for
that folder. Close out everything, Excel and all. Now go into Windows
Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and find that folder and see what's in it.
You may have a "Personal.xlsx or .xlsm file. That's OK. The rest of the
files is what you're looking for. HTH Otto