Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Query on Group field in Pivot Table

I have a large database wherein under Date column, data is in the format "Thu
Oct 1 12:00 AM".
When I use Pivot Table Under OPTIONS-GROUP- Group Field is disabled.
I used this to group Date field to either present data by Month, quarter at
one click.
Can anybody guide me why this seems to be disabled here.
I want to present my data only by Monthwithout changing the format ""Thu Oct
1 12:00 AM".

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Shewta

Check you Data Source of your Pivot. it should come up like
"Sheet6!$G$1:$I$821" and not like "'\Documents and Settings\kali\My
Documents\[EEXXXEL.xlsx]Sheet6'!$G$1:$I$821"...if its the later you may need
to change the source or reapply the pivot function...

Hope it helps

"Shweta Srivastava" wrote:

I have a large database wherein under Date column, data is in the format "Thu
Oct 1 12:00 AM".
When I use Pivot Table Under OPTIONS-GROUP- Group Field is disabled.
I used this to group Date field to either present data by Month, quarter at
one click.
Can anybody guide me why this seems to be disabled here.
I want to present my data only by Monthwithout changing the format ""Thu Oct
1 12:00 AM".

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

If you have any Text or any Blank cells in your column of dates, then Excel
will not permit Grouping.

Instead of selecting a fixed range larger than your existing data, allowing
room for adding new data, use a dynamic range as your source, which only
contains rows which have values.

For example
InsertNameDefine
Name myData
Refers to =$A$1:INDEX($A:$A,COUNTA($A:$A),INDEX($1:$1,COUNTA ($1:$1))

Right click on the PTBackSource =myDataOK
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Shweta Srivastava" wrote in
message ...
I have a large database wherein under Date column, data is in the format
"Thu
Oct 1 12:00 AM".
When I use Pivot Table Under OPTIONS-GROUP- Group Field is disabled.
I used this to group Date field to either present data by Month, quarter
at
one click.
Can anybody guide me why this seems to be disabled here.
I want to present my data only by Monthwithout changing the format ""Thu
Oct
1 12:00 AM".

Thanks

signature database 4774 (20100115) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4774 (20100115) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Roger,
Thanks for your message.

I am not able to understand the 2nd paragraph followed with the example.

When I click on Insert tab it doesn't give me any option of Name and then
Define.

I would appreciate if you can brief me about the same.

Regards,
Shweta Srivastava

--
Shweta Srivastava

"Roger Govier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Shweta

It sounds as though you are using XL2007.
I gave instructions for XL2003.

Instead for defining a Dynamic Range as per my earlier posting, make use of
the XL2007 Table feature.
Place your cursor in the first row of your dataInsert tabTableclick my
table has headers.
When you do this, you will see the Design tab, and in the Top left corner
you will see the Table Name that has been allocated by Excel - typically
Table1.
You can change this name to something more meaningful for you e.g. SalesData

Now, on your PTright clickon the Options tabData sectionChange data
sourcein the Table/Range enter SalesData

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Shweta Srivastava" wrote in