Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier[_3_] Roger Govier[_3_] is offline

Default Query on Group field in Pivot Table

Hi

If you have any Text or any Blank cells in your column of dates, then Excel
will not permit Grouping.

Instead of selecting a fixed range larger than your existing data, allowing
room for adding new data, use a dynamic range as your source, which only
contains rows which have values.

For example
InsertNameDefine
Name myData
Refers to =$A$1:INDEX($A:$A,COUNTA($A:$A),INDEX($1:$1,COUNTA ($1:$1))

Right click on the PTBackSource =myDataOK
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Shweta Srivastava" wrote in
message ...
I have a large database wherein under Date column, data is in the format
"Thu
Oct 1 12:00 AM".
When I use Pivot Table Under OPTIONS-GROUP- Group Field is disabled.
I used this to group Date field to either present data by Month, quarter
at
one click.
Can anybody guide me why this seems to be disabled here.
I want to present my data only by Monthwithout changing the format ""Thu
Oct
1 12:00 AM".

Thanks

signature database 4774 (20100115) __________