Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default counting information in one column based on criteria in another co

Have a list of states in one column and I want to count how many times a
value appears in another column. My example is this I have a range of
numbers in column c from 1 to 10. Based on the value in column a (state
abbrv) I need to count the number of times the number 6 appears.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try something like this...

To count for state New York and 6:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="NY"),--(C1:C100=6))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP