Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum column information based on multiple criteria

I've read the posts on using "sumprodut" instead of "sumif", but I'm either
doing something wrong or using "sumproduct" isn't the right tool for what I'm
doing. Here's my problem:
If $A$8:$A$23 = 660010 and if $B$8:$B$23 = "Ideation", sum $C$8:$C$23.
If the value in column A meets my criteria and the value in column C meets
my criteria, I want to find the corresponding cell in column C and add them
together...

Col A Col B Col C
660010 Ideation $5
665511 Ideation $2
660010 Concept $6
660010 Ideation $5

Based on the above information, I would want my formula to return $10, since
the first and last rows contain the correct criteria. I've tried many things
- sumif (which only allows for one criteria), nested if statements, using ifs
and ands....I've been looking at it so hard that my mind has gone blank. Can
anyone help?

Much appreciated!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have you tried entering your formula as an array formula?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"GHawkins" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried the following formula:

Col A Col B Col C
660010 Ideation $5
665511 Ideation $2
660010 Concept $6
660010 Ideation $5

=sum(if((A1:A4="660010")*(B1:B4="Ideation"),C1:C4) ), and then using the
Ctrl+Shift+Enter to calculate. This returns 0 instead of the 10 I'm
expecting. Am I doing something wrong?

"GHawkins" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try:

=SUMIF((A1:A4="60010")*(B1:B4="Ideation"),C1:C4) and hit CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

(note the difference in my formula is you're using the SUMIF function not
the SUM function as in your formula below).

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"GHawkins" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lk lk is offline

=sumproduct(--($A$8:$A$23=660010),--($B$8:$B$23="Ideation"),$C$8:$C$23)

if the data in A8:A23 is text, you will need to change the 660010 to "660010".

"GHawkins" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This does not work - it prompts me that I've entered too few arguments. The
suggestion of using the SUMPRODUCT does end up working (see post from Ik)
unless there are null values in my range.

"GHawkins" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lk lk is offline

Sumproduct, with the "--", assigns a value of 1 (if true) and 0 (if false) to
your conditions, then it multiplys the value of the conditions (1's and/or
0's) by your last data range. So if all the conditions are true, you get
1*1*data range (for that row only). If you have a NULL, in your example, it
will be assigned a value of zero.

(Ssorry this isn't a very eloquent answer. There are lots of websites with
more Sumproduct info.)