-   -   counting information in one column based on criteria in another co (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/246626-counting-information-one-column-based-criteria-another-co.html)

Lost in excel

counting information in one column based on criteria in another co

Have a list of states in one column and I want to count how many times a
value appears in another column. My example is this I have a range of
numbers in column c from 1 to 10. Based on the value in column a (state
abbrv) I need to count the number of times the number 6 appears.

T. Valko

counting information in one column based on criteria in another co

Try something like this...

To count for state New York and 6:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="NY"),--(C1:C100=6))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"lost in excel" <lost in wrote in message
Have a list of states in one column and I want to count how many times a
value appears in another column. My example is this I have a range of
numbers in column c from 1 to 10. Based on the value in column a (state
abbrv) I need to count the number of times the number 6 appears.

Lost in excel

counting information in one column based on criteria in anothe

It worked like a charm! Thanks for the help!

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try something like this...

To count for state New York and 6:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="NY"),--(C1:C100=6))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"lost in excel" <lost in wrote in message
Have a list of states in one column and I want to count how many times a
value appears in another column. My example is this I have a range of
numbers in column c from 1 to 10. Based on the value in column a (state
abbrv) I need to count the number of times the number 6 appears.

.

T. Valko