Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Managing File Size in Excel 2007

I recently moved to Excel 2007 from 2003. I created a data entry workbook
for a survey I'm doing for a client. The workbook contains 6 protected
sheets -- a sheet for respondent information and sheets to enter data for 5
plant sites -- and 4 hidden sheets that I use to capture the data in tabular
form for ease of analysis. I would expect the size of a similar instrument
in Excel 2003 to be about 1M -- it's an order of magnitude larger in Excel
2007. That is a real problem: I distribute the surveys by E-mail, and most
of my clients' firewalls block files that large. And as surveys go, this is
a short one for me. Each form is only 3 printed pages (landscape
orientation), and I have done some surveys that are 3 - 5 times longer than
that.

Does anyone have any tips for minimizing the size of Excel 2007 workbooks?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Excel 2007 workbooks will be smaller
I think your usedrange is not correct

See Debra's site for more info

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"CJInc" wrote in message ...
I recently moved to Excel 2007 from 2003. I created a data entry workbook
for a survey I'm doing for a client. The workbook contains 6 protected
sheets -- a sheet for respondent information and sheets to enter data for 5
plant sites -- and 4 hidden sheets that I use to capture the data in tabular
form for ease of analysis. I would expect the size of a similar instrument
in Excel 2003 to be about 1M -- it's an order of magnitude larger in Excel
2007. That is a real problem: I distribute the surveys by E-mail, and most
of my clients' firewalls block files that large. And as surveys go, this is
a short one for me. Each form is only 3 printed pages (landscape
orientation), and I have done some surveys that are 3 - 5 times longer than
that.

Does anyone have any tips for minimizing the size of Excel 2007 workbooks?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks for your help. Your suggestion helped me identify a problem with a
couple of the hidden worksheets that I'm using to tabulate responses. I
redid those worksheets and the file size dropped dramatically (to about 150
kb).