Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Sam Sam is offline

Default if, else questions

I have a sheet with 3 columns: A, B, C
A is a dropdown with following values
compile, edit, audit

B is a dropdown and has the same values as A
compile, edit, audit

C is a text box that auto populates with either "Yes" or "No" depending on
what we select for A and B

If I select same values for A and B then I want a Yes for C
If I select different values for A and B then I want a No

Also, I have seen an IF statement in a cell that has text values.

The IF statement compares two cells with text values but has a '' and a '<'
comparison made. For eg, If 'lion' < 'cat' then display '1' and so on.
My question is, How can we make such a comparison of or < with a text value?

Thanks in Advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I am not sure why you speak of a 'text box'. If you put this formula in C2
(assuming that the data begins in A2) then the cell C2 will display the
required value. The formula can be copyed down the column by dragging or
double clicking the fill handle

IF(A2=B2,"Yes","No")

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"sam" wrote in message
I have a sheet with 3 columns: A, B, C
A is a dropdown with following values
compile, edit, audit

B is a dropdown and has the same values as A
compile, edit, audit

C is a text box that auto populates with either "Yes" or "No" depending on
what we select for A and B

If I select same values for A and B then I want a Yes for C
If I select different values for A and B then I want a No

Also, I have seen an IF statement in a cell that has text values.

The IF statement compares two cells with text values but has a '' and a
'<'