Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Can I have Excel Show the last 8 digits of a Number?

I have a column with 14 digits in each row of the column. Is it possible to
only show the last 8 digits of the number for each row? If show I can I do
this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=RIGHT(A1,8)

"Greg" wrote:

I have a column with 14 digits in each row of the column. Is it possible to
only show the last 8 digits of the number for each row? If show I can I do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You would need to use another column with a formula.

It all depends on what you need the 8 digits for.

A1 = 12345678901234

=RIGHT(A1,8)

That will return the result as a *TEXT* value.

=--RIGHT(A1,8)

That will return the result as a *numeric number*. However, Excel doesn't
like numbers that have leading zeros so it drops any leading zeros.

A1 = 12345600001234

=--RIGHT(A1,8) returns the numeric number 1234

What you can do is format the cell as Custom using this format: 00000000

Then the result will be 00001234

However(!!!), the leading zeros are for display purposes only. Excel still
doesn't recognize those leading zeros. This can be important if you need to
perform further calculations on the "numbers".

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Greg" wrote in message
I have a column with 14 digits in each row of the column. Is it possible
only show the last 8 digits of the number for each row? If show I can I
do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One other option is simply to use Data / Text To Columns / Fixed width to
chop the data into 2 parts. You can choose the "Do Not import" option on the
section of numbers you don't want.

Regards
Ken...................

"Greg" wrote in message
I have a column with 14 digits in each row of the column. Is it possible
only show the last 8 digits of the number for each row? If show I can I
do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The only thing you have to be careful about is that if the first number of
any of your remaining numbers is a 0, then you will end up with 7 digit or
less number.

Regards